Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Anyone have questions about the jam?

A topic by Nooh Alavi created May 05, 2020 Views: 393 Replies: 17
Viewing posts 1 to 8
Host (1 edit)

If anyone has questions related to the jam, then do not hesitate to ask in this community page and/or on the #current-jam channel in the discord server (the discord server is more active). 

Hey there bud!
I was wondering, is there going to be a specific genre too? Or will we be able to create anything following this rule?

Thanks mate!

cheers

Jam HostSubmitted (1 edit)

There will be a theme announced when the jam starts. For as long as you can fit your game into that theme and the other restrictions you can make whatever game you want in whatever genre you want.

Thanks!

Host (1 edit)

Yeah, lenscas answered it pretty well. The theme will be announced when the jam starts, and you have to make a retro/8-bit game around that theme, and inside of the limitations. 

Host

Just gonna put this out there, if you're asking a question here then it'll be better if you create a separate topic for it. Also, you'll probably get a quicker answer if you ask on the discord server:  https://discord.gg/Q7359kP

Are tiles in map counting as sprites? I mean if you place an tile on map, is this counting as sprite?

Jam HostSubmitted

When it comes to the sprite count: In general, this is equal to the amount of different pictures your game will/could render or needs. There are a few ways to get around this, which are mentioned in the Q&A section.

If you have pictures inside the build that NEVER get rendered nor are used in other ways then they don't count.

Host

Hey! Just to extend on what lenscas said, Tiles count as sprites. but if you place 20 of the same tile on the map, it only counts as one sprite. Good luck, and have fun!

Submitted

Hi, apologies if there's a better place to do this. I'm a writer looking for experience in writing for games. I'd love to write dialogue, narration, item descriptions, wolrdbuilding.... whatever your jam might need! Contact at the email on my website if you're interested. Thanks!

Host

Hey! Just to let you know, you'll probably get more answers if you ask on the discord server (the link is on the jam page). There's a #team-up channel there, and last time I checked, plenty of people were looking for a team! Good luck!

Submitted

Hello, 

If the sptite itself is 32 x 32 can i recise the obj. In the room and make it bigger bigger

Jam HostSubmitted

From the Q&A
What about resizing?

• A: sprite is allowed to be resized for as long as it doesn't add any new detail. If you have a sprite file that is 32*32 and want to use it to cover the entire screen then you can and it will still only take up 1 sprite slot. However, the moment you add more detail to this sprite it will count as combining sprites. Look at the question above for more information on that.
Submitted

Did the the theme of the jam change? I swear when it started it said something along the lines “Grab a game, make it your own” and now it’s changed to death is not the end. Am I imagining things?

Jam HostSubmitted

Sorry for any confusion. Yes the theme did change and it seems we forgot to write a post here in the sudden mess we found ourselves in. If you are negatively affected by this then please contact us.

I now made a post about it, where I touch briefly why the decision was made https://itch.io/jam/retro-8-bit/topic/788513/theme-change

Again, sorry for any trouble this caused.

Submitted

Hi, can we make our game in TURBO C and export it just to MS DOS? I think it would be more retro.

Host

Of course! You can make your game with any engine/tool you want!

Jam HostSubmitted

Do keep in mind that if you go this route, not everyone will be able to play it or is willing to setup dosbox to play your game. So, if you go this route (and I must say, it sounds awesome) I recommend to also have a download that works a bit more out of the box :)