SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

ALO Controls design rationale

A topic by cronosh created Mar 18, 2020 Views: 140
Viewing posts 1 to 1
Submitted(+2)

Hi guys,

First of all I would like to thank the organisers for putting up this lovely jam. It's been while since I wanted to partecipate in one, and this jam really sparkled my enthusiasm. So here I am, submitting to my first jam! I must say I'm particularly touched by this one as my brother and I, who developed ALO Controls, are from Milan and things are fairly lonely in this part of the world.

You can find, play and rate our game here: https://itch.io/jam/quarantinejam/rate/588353
Please, we believe that comments and feedback are far more valuable than mere numerical metric. If you liked or disliked,  understood or didn't understand our game, if you think of improvements to it: drop us two lines!

Now, if you're curious about why we ended up making the game we made, the design of ALO Controls was influenced by several points:

• we only had two days, as we had to work on Monday;
  • my brother has some experience in Unity, I fiddled with Game Maker Studio a long time ago, but we wanted to experiment with a new engine: Godot;
  • I'm a bit of a coder, my brother is a designer, but neither of us is a really good artist nor musician. Despite this, we wished to make all our assets ourselves from scratch for our submission

They might seem quite mundane points, but I believe that the design of anything (games included) has to obey to reality's strict laws, thus included our time constraints, inabilities and external contingencies.

As per the theme, we realised that we wouldn't have been able to put "a lot of" stuff on screen because of the above constraints (mainly my programming skills): my brother then realised that instead of having "a lot of" stuff on screen, we could build a mechanic that involved "a lot of" controls, thus the name of the game!

I will say no more about it, and let you discover the mystery of the pattern of gears you have to face!

Enjoy!