Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Game engine

A topic by Arcadev created Jun 23, 2022 Views: 98 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 4

In the instruction, it says you may use a parser engine. Can you use a game engine that isn't made specifically for parser games, e.g. Godot?

Submitted

Hi AAArcade!

The organization will answer you better than me, but I think that it does not matter the tool used, but the mechanics of the game, in which you type text and get a response from the game: Not only clicking text, but typing free text, that is, whatever the player could think, so the “Parser engine” will “interpret” what the player was trying to do, and give the results.

Some of us here are using our own tools, but the easy way is use an existing one, like Adventuron, Inform, ...

Ok, Thanks!

Submitted

I agree with AZ. Godot may or may not be suitable. I can't say, as I've never used it. No matter what language or development environment you use, writing an adventure editor, compiler and interpreter is a huge task. Many have tried and failed. I really think you're better off using one of the established authoring tools. In that way, you will not only save yourself a lot of work, but you'll have access to lots of help and expertise from other users of those tools.