Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

What about an open source fork jam?

A topic by PhilippTheProgrammer created Sep 29, 2020 Views: 99
Viewing posts 1 to 1
Submitted (10 edits) (+1)

As you can read here, the organizers of this jam are brainstorming how they could expand this jam series. I got an idea I would like you to comment on.

One of the greatest concepts of Open Source is the right to fork. FOSS allows you to just take the project of someone else and turn it into something better, without even having to ask for permission.

How about creating an "Open Source Fork Jam"? A game jam where participants take any project from a past Open Source Jam, fork it and turn it into an entirely different game.

I think that giving a theme would not be that appropriate for such a game jam, because not every game will be suitable for adapting to a specific new theme. So perhaps the surprise challenge revealed at the start of the game jam could be which game to fork.

Now there are of course games made in a lot of different technologies. Most participants won't know how to work in every single one of them. So the organizers could pick a small selections of past games which cover a wide variety of frequently used technologies and allow people to choose from. Like one in C++, one in JavaScript, one in Godot and perhaps one in Unity (While Unity is a proprietary engine, it just is the most popular engine among game jammers).