Jobs
Tags

F.A.Q Sticky

A topic by chasersgaming created May 24, 2019 Views: 132
Viewing posts 1 to 1
Host (3 edits)

Unofficial OGA Summer Game Jam  2019 F.A.Q

Frequently asked questions.

Q: Can I create my own assets if i can't find anything i need/want on OpenGameArt?
A: Yes, you can, but remember the rules say you must use 6 assets from openGameArt, 
So for you game to qualify you must have your assets uploaded to OpenGameArt.org before the end of the submission date/time.

Q: Can I upload assets I paid for to OGA?
A: You will have to look at what the license of the assets you purchassed says, and what it allows you to do with them.
Most likely not, so for arguments sake, I will say No. Only if the license you have is granted CC0 'Public Domain', then Yes you can.

Q: Can I use paid assets in my game?
A: Of coarse! you can use what you like so long as you have the license/permissions to do so.

Q: Can I modify/Edit my assets before the start of the Jam?
A: Any asset that is not 'Code' or 'Programmable' can be Edited/Modified before the Start of the Jam.(Music, Graphics)
Any asset that requires modifications within the software your using to create your game CANNOT be modified/Edited before the Jam.

Q: Can I use any software/engine?
A: You are free to use any engine or software to create your game with, so long as you have the license and permisions to do so.

Q: Can I use a third party software/server that requires signing up to play my game?
A: Well, you can yes, however it is not a requirement or expectation that users should need to do these things in order to play your game, and this may put some users off, but it is generally up to user to decide if there happy to do so. I only say this because of the ratings, which could be effected for your game.:)

Q: What counts as one asset?
A: Each page of a submission contain download files, each file that is able to be downloaded individually counts as one asset. In some cases, some files will have a 'Zipped' downloadable file and contain more than one asset, such as music. Each file contained in the 'Zipped' file will be considered as one asset.

Q: Do I have to use 6 assets from OGA, or can more be used?
A: Most definitely! the more assets you use from OGA the better! :)

Q: Can I upload and Submit one image at a time on OGA? So it will count as one asset?
A: No, If you are uploading to OGA be sure to keep most of it together in a 'Categorised' manner as possible. 'Categorising' can be treated as separate submissions, i.e Music, Background, Animation, Texture, object etc. Anything else could be flagged as a 'Trivial Art' submission, and if it is, it won't be considered 'one asset' for the Game Jam. See here https://opengameart.org/content/art-submission-guidelines

Q: Can I create a 'Fan Game' and upload the assets to OGA?

A: Ideally, you should respect the copyright and the Intellectual Property (IP's) and trademark's of respected Company's and look to create something original and entirely your own, and i encourage you to do so, but i can't stop you from creating a 'Fan game' based on or derived from such IP's. That is entirely up to you, it's your project. However, you cannot upload assets that are Copyrighted IP's, or assets derived from such IP's. They will be removed, and will not count as an asset for the jam. see here: https://opengameart.org/content/art-submission-guidelines just don't do it.

Q: I've been working on a game, can i submit that? (basecode)
A: The game you create must of been created at the start of the Jam. Games previously created before the start date will not be accepted. However i appreciate that 'Basecode' is often used in game jams, so using pre-written code is acceptable as long as no programming for your game has started until the Jam start date. You can 'fork' your code from a previous project so long as it makes a completely different game from what the code was previously used for. (I will investigate should i suspect anything) 
You can submit your game for another jam if you wish, and submit a game that was created for another Game Jam, as long as it sticks to the rules for this Jam and not started before this Jam starts.

Q: Do you have any rights over the games created for this Game Jam?
A: No, All the games created for the Game Jam are yours and yours only. The Jam takes no ownership of your projects.

Q: Do I have to share my sourcecode?
A: This is completely optional, If you want to then you can do so, or upload to Github etc, but no you don't have to share your sourcecode.

Q: Once I have submitted my game, can I update it during the Game Jam?
A: Yes. There may be an occasion where I will ask you to update certain things because they are missing something pertain to the rules.
Failure to update projects that fall inline with the rules before the the submission deadline will unfortunately be removed/disqualified. 
So please make sure you check everything. Once the voting period begins you will not be able to update until the jam concludes, after which you can do as you please. :)

Q: Can I work in a team?

A: Most definitely, or alone if you want to. 'Prizes' though are awarded per game, so if you are part of a team, then you will need to share the spoils.

Q: How many of the 'Prizes' can a game win, can It win all of them?

A: Well, if it finishes within the criteria of the 'Prizes', then yes. It would be a multi award winning entry!