SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Myself and my game

A topic by skeldoor created Feb 02, 2021 Views: 451 Replies: 9
Viewing posts 1 to 10
Submitted

Hey I'm Matt (Skeldoor), 

I'm new to the whole game jam thing and haven't used these community posts before so I thought I'd start today with the Nokia jam. I recently took part in the FFS Finally Finish Something jam with a game that I started back in May that struggled towards the finish line. So I'm gonna take part in this jam and see what I can create and learn in 7 days rather than spend another 7 months on a bigger project.

I'm hoping the shorter deadline and tighter restrictions of this jam will force me to learn a little quicker and keep on track with my deadlines. I'm thinking of going for a 2d endless runner and I've drawn a cute dinosaur to go along with this idea so I think I'll keep it dino themed. I'll need a name for the game (and the dino??) soon, any ideas?

Interested in keeping up with development of this lil game? I've started a Twitter for my game dev journey

Submitted

Not had too much time to work on this but got a goofy looking run animation going with some basic movement controls

Submitted

Running looks a lot better when Dino's moving across rougher terrain. Also added a score counter. 

Submitted

A few things added all at once! Now we've got meteors, lives, and also the view slowly zoom out as you get further (speed of zoom exaggerated for the gif)

Looks awesome so far!

Submitted

Wow the running animation looks really cool loved it!

Submitted

Cramming for the final release. Here's a sneak peek of the title screen of the game I'm calling Dino Dash.

Submitted (1 edit)

Oh this run animation is great! Good job !

Submitted (1 edit)

Submitted with not much time to spare. I stuck in a global hiscore leaderboard.

https://itch.io/jam/nokiajam3/rate/908403

Currently there's an issue with the sizing of the WebGL frame where it can cause the pixel grid to mess up and make my game's text and sprites appear stretched. I'm using pixel perfect camera and upscaling the res. Does anyone have any ideas to fix this?

Edit:

Oh my god, after struggling with it for hours I realised my Windows Display resolution scaling was set to 125%. Usually this defaults to either 100% or 150% which would both scale the pixels smoothly but 125% causes the stretching effect I was seeing. Setting this value in Display Settings back to 100% / 150% fixes the pixel stretching I was seeing and black bars around the edge of the WebGL display!

Anyway, enjoy the game!

Submitted

i loved playing dino run as a kid, this looks great