Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

(How much) do numbers count towards word count?

A topic by Andrew Schultz created Jun 06, 2023 Views: 164 Replies: 5
Viewing posts 1 to 4
Submitted

I had an idea where the reader might see what day it was, e.g. a header switches from Day 1 to Day 2 up to Day 6.

Now "Day" is 1 word, but 1-6 could technically be 0 words, 1 word (there is always a number) or 6 words because 1-6 could all be used.

I have a similar question for if the days have high and low temperatures. How many words would that count as? e.g. High (60-90) Low (40-70). My *guess* is that this would be 6 words but (High, Low, 4 numbers) but the high-low range could be 51 (40..90) in this case.

(Note that each number is 1 word could be abused in the case of, say, writing out a number like 09000308050120. But I imagine there are some conventions.)

HostSubmitted(+1)

If it is part of the header (like a title would), then it wouldn't count.

A numerical number would count as a word. "High (60-90)" this would be 2 words (because of the - ).

Submitted

Thanks for this! I'm leaning towards, when in doubt, counting a word just in case. It's one of those things where I don't want to over-think the rules & don't want to overlook anything obvious. But just to check, the code

High: <<random(70, 90)>> Low: <<random(50,70)>> would be 4 words

And yet at the same time

You are being chased by a (string chosen in the form <<(1 of red, blue, yellow, green)>> <<1 of spotted, striped, patchy, plain>> <<1 of orc, troll, ghoul, ghost>> )

Would be 12? Well, 12  + 6 for the intro.

And then on the next page would

(that string above) is still chasing you!

...count as 12+4 more or just 4? It seems rules could be made either way & I'd be okay with it. I'd just have to be more concise if it is the 12+4 and not 4!

HostSubmitted(+1)

4, it's fine :)

Submitted

Thanks! I always feel a bit awkward asking these questions where it *seems* what a good fair answer is, but it's good to make sure.

HostSubmitted(+1)

Please ask all the questions you want! Better have things cleared up than go against the rules by mistake :P