SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

The Final Stretch

A topic by Tanya Floaker created Nov 25, 2020 Views: 142 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 4
Host

Hey all, 

While I'm working on my final document I was wondering how it is going for others here? Anyone managed to write, play and talk? Anything you need a hand with to get your game over the line? 

馃敟

Tanya.

馃檹

Host(+1)

For folks needing that final boost to cross the finish line! 

Submitted

LOL, kind of a late reply, but here's my situation:  I finished and submitted The Cousins some time ago, got the glossary added to my previous game, Are You A Better General Than Agamemnon?, and then tried to start writing an inverse dating sim, which I did not get very far into (like, not even to the first hint of interactivity!), and then started working on converting the rest of the novel that The Cousins came from into a game, too.

That's going...well, better than the inverse dating sim, but it's still a bit slow and sporadic.  When I rewrote the first half of the first chapter of the novel into The Cousins, almost every word of it was new.  This one, I'm keeping some scenes almost in their entirety, keeping bits and pieces of others, and writing others from scratch.  It's hard to go very far in that at a time, because I'll get in the groove of doing one of those things and then have to switch to the other, which throws me out of my groove.  And I'm very much the type who writes on momentum above all else, so when I lose that momentum, it really mucks me up.  Still, I'm liking how it's turning out this time a lot better; the new material has been light years better than the material I'm ditching.  (Hopefully, that means I've improved as a writer in the last six years...)

One problem with it is that suddenly I kind of want the title of the whole game to revolve around cousinhood (yeah, that's not a word, is it?), because I realized there was a lot more of that going around in the original story than I thought at first.  So, the two girls who are the title characters of The Cousins, when they finally escape their slavery and end up in the remains of the Greek camp outside Troy, they meet Eurysakes, the son of Aias.  Aias was the cousin of Achilles, and since one of the girls is the daughter of Achilles, that makes Eurysakes her cousin.  That part I was always aware of.  But in this new version, Eurysakes is going to Troy as an official delegation from his uncle, the King of Cyprian Salamis, to the new King of Troy, who is the son of Alexander.  Alexander, of course, was one of Priam's sons, and Eurysakes' uncle was the son of one of Priam's sisters.  (Seriously.  When Heracles destroyed the previous Troy, killing Priam's father and brothers, he captured Priam's sister Hesione and gave her to his buddy Telamon as an enslaved concubine.  And on her he fathered Teukros, while he fathered Aias on his wife.  Ironically, there are lots of different names and family origins for Aias' wife, as she was mythologically irrelevant, unlike Hesione.)  So once there was this official visit angle on it, I suddenly realized that "whoa, Teukros and Korythos are cousins, too!"  Like I said, there's a lot of that going around, suddenly.  (Technically, there's just a lot of cousins in Greek mythology in general, what with half the gods and heroes having been fathered by Zeus or one of his offspring...)  So I may still tweak the title away from The Walls of Troy to something more family-related, but I'm not sure what, yet.  I may see if any further insights strike me as I continue the rewrite process.

As to playing...I've probably done more of that than I should...but mostly it's been Animal Crossing and My Time at Portia... *cough*