Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[DevLog] Miles Dauntless, Space Detective

A topic by tarsus created Jan 02, 2016 Views: 970 Replies: 11
Viewing posts 1 to 12
Submitted(+1)

This is going to be brief, I imagine most of my progress will just get thrown up on twitter but ill try to update here when i can.

Overview

You are Miles Dauntless, the one and only detective on board the Goddard, a Generation ship half way through its 210 year mission to found a colony in a distant star system. You spend all your days solving simple thefts, searching for lost items and generally keeping the piece. When a crime, neither you or the ship has seen before, drops in your lap, Murder.

Assets

Keeping it simple, apart from a few bits and pieces (the detectives fedora) I will be using the default and DLC assets included with RMMV.

I'm not sure on music yet, I kind of want a mix of 1940's noir and scifi if that's even a thing.

Gameplay

The game takes place entirely on the Goddard, you have to travel around searching for clues and talking to witnesses, so far im planning on having 10 suspects.

Ultimately I would like to have the criminal randomly generated for each game, but for the sake of the 2 week limit im going to stick to a fixed murderer.

Goals

I plan on putting a couple of hours a day into this for the first week as ill also be working full time, but from the 11th im off work so I can get way more done.

This is a really cool setting! A lot of stuff with long space travel tends to go into deep philosophical stuff on a grand scale, but I really like that this is just about solving mysteries in day to day life. With the main mystery being murder. (How do you even get rid of a body on a spaceship that needs to conserve all resources? Is it just like, time to shove it down the body chute.)

I'm a sucker for noir mysteries, and this is a noir mystery in SPACE, so that's like two of my favorite things. I look forward to seeing more!

i have a deep love for anything sci fi, especially when space journeys are concerned so im excited to see your project develop!

Jam HostSubmitted

this sounds fun!! i'm also a sucker for sci-fi so 馃憖!!

Submitted(+1)

Thanks everyone

Some minor plot issues have come up, but I'm getting a friend to help out as she is a writer. The game has shifted to something like who framed roger rabbit crossed with Star Trek.

I'm part way through eventing the opening sequence which I've decided to call, the case of who drank the last of the coffee, kind of a mini tutorial.

Submitted

A few screenshots of work done so far.

Miles's office has a hologram generator that turns everything noir so he can look out over a fake city and give monologues.

I still need to get the parallax backdrops and windows done, to better give the appearance of being on a spaceship.

photo md001_zpsge7b0izc.jpg

photo md002_zpsito5v8gm.jpg

photo md003_zpsde8ivxdq.jpg

Submitted(+1)

Got loads more work done over the last few days. Finally got the entire framework and background stuff out of the way, now its just story.

I even have a short demo available.

It may need a minute to load properly, and is probably still full of bugs.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/212052422/Dauntless/index.html

Submitted

photo md011_zpssun21c88.jpg

photo md010_zps2rkkj1bz.jpg

The plot is coming along nicely, only 3 days left, time for the crunch!

omg this looks great!!!!! i love the story so far!!!

Submitted

Well, 1 day to go. Im not sure im going to get this finished. Ive decided to streamline the story a little bit to hit the deadline, but i definitely plan on going back and completing this game the way I originally intended, its just going to take a bit longer than 2 weeks.

Submitted

Its not perfect but it's done

http://tarsus.itch.io/miles-dauntless-space-detect...

I'll post final thoughts in the morning as I've been up all night

Submitted

I somehow missed that this was made in MV and kept wondering why stock stuff didn't look like VX Ace. Haha... I'll have to try it out soon, it looks good.