Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Tundra Runner

A topic by Godzilla Blitz created Jan 25, 2020 Views: 382 Replies: 15
Viewing posts 1 to 10
(+1)

In! Super excited about this. I've been a away from game dev for a while, still mostly a beginner. I'm going to try to dig back into Unity and build a cold-themed platformer.

I built *most* of a heat-themed platformer for a My First Game Jam about a year and a half ago, so building this will be a good way for me to remember what I used to know, and get back into building stuff with Unity.

I've got a Kanban set up with tasks if anyone is interested in following along.

I'll try to keep this updated with daily progress. I look forward to checking out everyone's projects, too! 

Let's do this!

Submitted(+1)

Wow you have the entire project planned out start to finish! I barely managed to plan my first two days haha. I will have to learn to plan ahead better. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Thanks! Not quite the whole project maybe but a chunk of it anyway—as far ahead as I could think. :)

If I don't do something like that I get totally off the rails. :)

Host(+1)

oh this board looks very organized! best of luck with the jam!

(+1)

Thanks, J! Got three cards done today. First steps! Player prototype can stand on an ice block in a scene. Woot!

Tomorrow: Building out the first scene ice landscape. Creating rounded ice blocks. Adding player movement. Adding player jumping.

So much to do, good times!

Day 3

I got basic player movement in place today: jumping, running, not jumping while in the air. I wish I had more time, but the daily progress feels good.

Now it's time to work on the player art and animation. Stick man must go. :)

(+1)

Day 4

Fun times with Aseprite! Idle player animation = done. Little guy is hyperventilating a bit, but I'll slow that down in the game. I got the running animation started, but will need to finish that tomorrow.

I'm going to need a huge weekend to get this done in time. An hour or two a day in the evenings won't cut it.

Submitted(+2)

I know how you feel with putting your hopes on the weekend. Thankfully, a couple of hours in the evenings does add up to quite a lot of time over two weeks.

Looks like things are coming together nicely for you so far. :-)

(+1)

Thanks Sonderful!

Yeah, even though it's slow, the daily progress does start to add up over a few days. I still need a good weekend to really ramp this up, though. :)

Host (1 edit) (+1)

ohh i love this animation so much! the complementary colors really make the sprite pop. also, i think you're making great progress! i know it can feel really slow only having an hour or two a day but if you ever make games beyond the jam finding a good balance between work and hobbies so you don't get burnt out is really the most sustainable way to finish games. good luck!

(+1)

Thanks J! Thanks for the color feedback, too. I originally started with yellow, but switched to orange and liked it better for the same reasons you mention.

I've actually got a year plan in place for getting better at gamedev, and am making a weekly video journal about the process. I'll post the next episode in here. The basic idea is exactly what you mention: do something that you can keep up over the long haul. I've been working on this in bursts for a couple of years now, but really want to change up to making steady progress instead.

Host

ohhh that's awesome! i'm wishing you the best of luck with that!

Day 5

Player running animation = done! Now back to Unity and onward!

(1 edit) (+2)

Day 6 

Player animation is now working in Unity. I want to add some frames to fix the breath condensation on jumping, but that should be quick and easy.

Next up, camera tracking and probably adding a background to the game.

Anyone looking forward to the weekend to spend more time on their game? I really need a big mojo weekend. So much to do. :)

Submitted(+1)

The animation looks very nice.

Thanks!