Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[Devlog] Chily Quest

A topic by BrownSeededBread created Jan 25, 2020 Views: 514 Replies: 20
Viewing posts 1 to 17
Submitted(+1)

My current vision for my game is a platformer set in an icy cave. I plan on using a pixel art style, taking inspiration from Celeste.

I've only had time to work on the movement as of yet, but I've created a basic to do list for my plans.

I look forward to working on this project in the coming weeks. My goal is to complete a full game, with a range of levels. I want to finish this project, even if I run out of time during the Jam.

Host

hey this kanban board looks great so far! just out of curiosity can i ask what the colored labels are? also, i think platformers are good for the jam because as long as you get mechanics down you can scale the size of the game by how many levels you decide to make. best of luck!

Submitted(+1)

Thank you for the kind wishes! The colors are just notes for each item (e.g purple is a fix, blue is a "possible addition", orange is something which might be difficult to implement, etc.) - just so I can keep track of what may be more or less work really.

Host(+1)

oh awesome! i was wondering if it was a priority level thing or "type of task". very cool!

Submitted

Update #2

I have added separate in-air drag to allow for more air control, and have also added/fixed my long jump, which allows you to jump futher from a crouch position.

Next job is to add a wall jump, then i can get on with the graphics.

Submitted

Update #3

I have now added the wall jump, and have started work on my tileset for the game. I need to tweak the values for my various "special abilities", but I think that will come after some of the levels have been designed.

I have tried using rule tiles, to help streamline the process of creating levels, but I have been experiencing severe performance issuse using them if there are more than a couple of platforms on screen, so I think I'll just do it manually for the time being.

The discord has been a big help today - they managed to sort out my collision detection issues I was having with my tiles.

Submitted(+1)

Update #4

I (mostly) finalised the movement code, save for a few value tweaks that will come later.

Here is a little gif demonstrating the movement so far. (btw, the lines are just the collision points, I forgot to hide them for recording the gif)

Host(+1)

ohhh nice! i really like the tileset you're using. the contrast of dark and light makes the map very easy to read at a glance!

Submitted(+1)

Thanks, I was testing out a few palettes , and this one seemed the nicest.

Submitted (1 edit)

Update #5

Another gif! I thought it would be fun to have a little glass of water searching for ice cubes as my game. Just added some rudementary animations, I plan on spending a bit of time over the weekend working on the sprites. I also tweaked the scale, and I can't decide which I prefer - I will probably stick to the smaller scale as I can fit more complex levels on screen.

Submitted

Update #6

I've added some more animations, and I have begun work on the sounds.

I plan on adding in some more obstacles (i.e. spikes and falling platforms) in the coming days, then I will be able to design some levels.

Submitted

Update #7

Another little progress update - I have (kind of) implemented a level manager to load level prefabs from a queue, and I am just trying to sort out instansiating the coins at the right places. Spikes and respawning have been fully implemented now.

Submitted (1 edit)

Update #8

I've managed to iron out most of my issues with storing and instaniating my levels, coins, etc. - so I'm going to design some actual levels before I do anything else (so I have at least a few levels by the deadline). This should hopefully be very streamlined, as I have already created all (or most of) of the assets I need, so I should just need to tweak the movement values. After this, I just need to add a start, pause screen and the like, before working on music if there is any time left.

Submitted(+1)

Wow. it is nice to see how organized you are with this project. I love the little character you made, very unique. Hope to see some challenging levels from you soon.

Submitted

Thank you! I’ll try and put a couple of challenges in there.

Submitted

Update #9

Just a little update - I've created 6 levels so far (two "worlds"), and I think I might work on adding some music tommorrow!

Submitted

Update #10

Been working on adding some transitions between the "worlds", which just need a couple of tweaks, then I will aim to create another 5-ish levels for it by the end of the jam.

Submitted

Update #11

I've now designed 9 levels, plus a few tutorial levels, and I think that is suitable for the scope of the jam, given the deadline only days away. I am going to make another attempt at making some music.

Submitted

Update #12

Finished! I've uploaded my game now, so I would be really grateful if you would check it out.

Devlog  = Complete

Submitted

https://brownseededbread.itch.io/chilly-quest

Here's a link to my submission

Submitted

Update #13

So it turns out I had some time to do a bit of play testing, and as a result I’ve tweaked some of the movement values.

I’ve also added the ability to skip the tutorial levels, particularly level 0-3, as the crouch jump was very difficult to perform, and isn’t really necessary for the rest of the game.