SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[Devlog] Dynamic Range Subculture

A topic by miguelp001 created Feb 03, 2019 Views: 223 Replies: 6
Viewing posts 1 to 7
(1 edit) (+1)

Hello everyone!

This is my first game jam ever. I'm really happy to be here and want to well... finish something. I kept it general and vague because I didn't know what I wanted to do. Now, I know what I want to do and I've started a dev blog. I want to post everything in one place so, I posted to my blog site. If you aren't interested in following the link, I'm making a game called: Jump City: Dynamic Range Subculture. It's going to be about being a battle rapper in a futuristic setting. Now, I don't think that I'm going to be able to actually make a game from start to finish so, I'm going to actually focus on making a prototype as good as I possibly can.

Here's the logo:

Jump city: Dynamic Range Subculture

Hip-hop. hip-hop never changes.
Check it out and lemme know what you think.
Host

battle rapper in a futuristic setting is one hell of a pitch. i'm really curious what kind of mechanics you'll have for this game.

I'm keeping a Dev blog at aredpanic.wordpress.com because I used it for other stuff. Currently, it's looking like a visual novel with turn based rpg mechanics in a vaguely Pokemon style. I have hopes of getting more complicated but, I'm keeping things simple so that I can actually finish something.

I thought that cyberpunk battle rap is such an out there idea and then I remembered Jet Set Radio. Weird hip-hop, Japanese, futuristic roller blading and tagging is something that I just won't come close to.

Anyway, let's have fun!

Oh man I am SUPER into the setting of this game. Can't wait to see the end result man

Host

aaaa i cant believe that i missed the logo was in the ff style... as soon as i read it i totally saw it. also renpy is a solid choice--esp for jam!

(+1)

Thanks for the interest. I'm honored... and concerned that I'm going to let you all down. Still, I had a brief chat with someone on Discord who reminded me that this is for fun. I'm trying to come up with mechanics and implementations that derive from the setting concept. So, while I'm coming up with stuff, I'm coming up with weird new ideas and then cutting them down if their too complex (not enough time) or don't fit the idea well enough. A big thing that I found was that keeping the blog has been a good way to keep myself on task. In my mind, I started this thing and said how long it is. If I bow out early, "everyone" will know. The discord and even here are also great.

I'm playing with mockups that I have to attempt to recreate in ren'py. I'm a very visual person so I need to see everything to have it all fit in my brain. So, that's where I'm at right now. Working on the skeleton of the prototype, making mockups and trying to keep from dreaming too big. :)

Host

yeah i think daily blog posts are a great way to keep yourself accountable. i'd love to see some visuals in this thread!