Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[Devlog] Raining Cats and Dogs

A topic by Plum created Jan 17, 2017 Views: 297 Replies: 2
Viewing posts 1 to 3
(+3)

[BUSTS THROUGH THE DOOR INTO THE GAME JAM SOAKED WITH RAIN, PART OF MY JACKET ON FIRE] I'm not too late, am I?

IT'S RAINING CATS AND DOGS

a First person dodge'em up + exploration + deity shopping simulator.

Hey I've never made a devlog before (I've also never made a game before) so here it goes... This is the devlog for my currently untitled jam entry, which currently has a working title of 'It's raining cats and dogs' because in this game it does, in fact, rain cats and dogs. I also wrote some lore down while brainstorming, so here it is:

THE LORE

In the village of Hundkatze, the village is watched over by two fickle deities: The CAT GOD and the DOG GOD. Both have temples within the town, and it is rumored that one can obtain artifacts of unimaginable power by giving the gods offerings to win their favor. It is also rumored that this is a very bad idea for some reason, but you didn't really listen to that part of the rumors. You have just stepped off the bus station at Hundkatze, and it's time to get some MAD FriCKING ARTIFACTS.

THE GAMEPLAY
Basically, the gameplay consists of you running around town with a shopping list from dog/cat god trying to find items while being pursued by adorable enemies which you must avoid. Every time you drop off an item a god demands, you get some kind of upgrade (artifact) which helps you better collect artifacts. I'm unsure if I want this to be an infinite process/gameplay loop or if I want to attach some kind story to it so it eventually wraps up. (This being a game jam, I don't want my game to consume too much of people's time - there's so many other jam games they also have to play!)

THE PROGRESS

I've been working on it for a bit, though I am a complete beginner in all aspects of design so the process has been long and hard. Simple things such as picking up objects, running into enemies, and health all take hours for me to figure out. Most of my work has been inside the coding box thing, and there's no fancy art assets to look at. I'll keep posting progress in this thread as the deadline draws near. Most boring code stuff is out of the way, though, so hopefully I'll have something to show you soon! Oh also I'm making this in Unity.
OTHER STUFF

The itch.io forums are really hard to use and I kept messing up the formatting while trying to make this, sorry if it's hard to read. Hope you're all enjoying the jam so far !

(+1)

also if you REALLY want to see what the current progress is,

here you go

I also didn't know that gif capturing software was a thing before recording that. Hope you like cats. And spheres.

Host(+1)

haha honestly i feel like "simple mechanics" in games is kind of an oxymoron. they can be tough + take a bit to pick up and with certain kinds of mechanics days or weeks (or months!) to tweak. i really love the premise of this game--it's really charming and i think makes for a good "short" game that's scalable content-wise. i look forward to seeing more of your progress!