Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[Dev] Power up space shooter.

A topic by Kyperbelt Games created Jan 09, 2017 Views: 380 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 4
Submitted(+1)

hey guys. i will be making a generic space shooter with power ups and different enemies. hopefully i can make something that i can enjoy playing. :)

Host

hi there! honestly the most important thing for prototypes and jam games is that you create something you really enjoy. looking forward to seeing what you make!

Submitted(+1)

Pretty simple design document. some variety in enemies. maybe have not decided if i will make it a gaunlet style game or something with "stages".going to try and get something up and running with basic movement and enemies.

https://gyazo.com/8c312b314375313a9cfed0753a437db8

Submitted (1 edit) (+2)

Hello everyone had not posted for a while due to personal issues but hopefully everything is back on track :)

So i will continue to pursue the vision of the game that i posted about earlier in the design document i posted.

first thing i did was get something up and running. Using the libgdx framework i made a simple game window with randomly spawning objects

that slowly fall down towards the player.

At this stage the "game" still did not resemble a game but i was glad to have something going. The next step was to try and get the player to fire towards an enemy and have that collision registered.

So the player could fire now but the underlying physics engine(box2d) was behaving like a physics engine lol. This meant unnecessary interactions between projectiles and enemies so i decided to make the projectiles sensors and this way they only sensed collisions but did not act upon them.

My daughter(6yrs old) was really interested when she saw me programming and asked if she could help. Me being so excited about her interest in my hobby pushed me to say yes and she began by drawing me a spaceship. The instructions i gave her were simply "make me a dog's spaceship" lol.

This was the result: so i immediately started working on game mechanics. I implemented a basic scoring system some health and game ending conditions for the player. Also a GameOver screen so that it would be easier testing things.

Still far from done but it is looking like a game now.