SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[DevLog] limm

A topic by Serge Korzh created Jan 08, 2017 Views: 193 Replies: 1
Viewing posts 1 to 2
Submitted (2 edits)

little Ian's majestic metamorphose

Since everyone's doing a devlog, I decided to create one for my entry as well. Although I fear it won't be frequently updated, but I'll do my best.

A few words about the project: I based my game on the draft I made about two weeks ago (I had an idea of creating a rougelike), I know I should make the game from scratch, but since I've only created a basic physics engine I consider it to be within the rules (please tell me if I'm mistaken or not). I work in plain javascript (I think it's the best way to achieve multiplatform support) with the help of a great library called p5.js (although I will eventually re-base the whole thing to regular js for optimization purposes).

Concept: a cat named Ian is trying to find friends in a scary world of locked rooms with quite boring design.

Genre: 2D Platformer (how original).

You can check out the project on github. Comments and critique are highly encouraged.

No screenshots thus far (Nothing to show for now, really).

Submitted (1 edit)

While trying to balance between vacation, exams and working on the game, I decided to completely change the concept behind my project. I have less than 2 days, but I think I'll manage to deploy at least one level. Even though I won't achieve the goals set by me at the beginning of the jam, I've already learned a lot about how stupid was the idea of implementing the whole thing in pure js, how cruel can weak-typed js be and having no concrete concept can drastically slow down the work. I have also learned some time management hacks that I hadn't used before. So, some of my progress:

1. a Tilemap editor:

It's not perfect and is still under construction but it works and that's what matters.

2. Finally fixed all major bugs and added some basic features

Ugh, I haven't done a lot of things, but at least the player now can kill himself ^_^.

P.S. sorry for such a low fps, I'm not very good at making gifs.