Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

First Ever Game Jam!

A topic by Diablosch created Jun 28, 2021 Views: 363 Replies: 15
Viewing posts 1 to 12
(1 edit) (+1)

Finally, free from all the work stuff I have to do. Now I get to start on my first game jam! Yay!

Starting off, the program used for the game will probably be using GDevelop, saw a number of forums online that it's a very good game engine that doesn't require any coding. Second of all, the game will be a platformer, although things might change as time goes by. Art style will probably be 8-bit, or something quite similar, this is due to my own likings towards such aesthetics.

I guess that's about it for the first entry of the dev log. Will update more tomorrow!

(1 edit) (+1)

2nd Day Update:

I can't seem to be doing what I want in GDevelop5. A shame really, I was enjoying how easy it is to run events and such. Well no worries, I'm redoing my current work on Godot now!

Edit #1:

Made an idle sprite for the main character. I'm gonna call him Shadow.

(+3)

3rd Day Update:

I now have something somewhat resembling a game (yay!). The character now have walking animation as well as jumping animation. 

Here's a gif showing how it currently looks:

In addition, codes are also provided below:

Credits to the Godot Platformer Tutorial by BornCG

I'm still testing out if the constants are good enough. In addition, I still have a number of animation (albeit very simple) such as crouching that I have not utilize yet, but this is good enough for now. Will start making maps tomorrow!

Nice! You're off to a good start!

Thanks!

Submitted

It’s such a good Youtube Series, isn’t it? You enjoying Godot?

(+1)

It is! Godot is such a nice game engine to use.

(+1)

4th Day Update:

Not much to update for today. I made limits to my camera though. Since I'm planning on making a platformer that utilizes one room per level that doesn't require camera movement, I decided to set limits to my camera movement so that it doesn't move around regardless of the character movement. Also changed the movement speed to 300, although might change it again since it seems to move really fast now. Therefore:

Changes:

• Limit the Left and Top Camera Margin to 0;
  • Limit the Right and Bottom Camera Margin to 1024 and 600;
  • Const SPEED changed to 300.

Here's how it currently looks:

(+1)

5th Day Update:

Missed out on a couple of days because of important family matters, but I can start working on the game again! The following was done today:

• Made the first level (still a draft though);
  • Idea finalized! The game will be centered on speed running, interpreting the "free" theme as giving the player freedom to pick their path to getting their fastest route;
  • Made fall zones and initial design for platforms;
  • Parallax finished!; and
  • Made coins as well as coin animations when they are taken.

Here's a gif showing the current result for the game:

As it currently stands, the game reset if either of these two conditions are met:

• All coins are collected; and
  • The player fell into the holes on the floor.

The final product will probably keep the "death by falling" mechanism and the player will win if they can collect all the coins in time. Numbers of stages will probably be around 3-4.

Things to do in the future:

• Add enemies;
  • Add more levels;
  • Add a menu page; and
  • Add a timer and a coin score at the top of the screen.

Wish me luck!

(+2)

6th Day Devlog:

Today I began making the HUD for the coin collector. Honestly, not much have been today, but here it is:

That's one part of the things to add to the game (yay!). Will continue to make more tomorrow.

Host

ohhh it's so awesome seeing your progress on this with each update!! the parallax backgrounds look soooo nice and really add a lot of depth to the scenes. excited to see more!

Thank you! That means a lot! Can't wait to publish the finished version soon.

7th Day Devlog:

Well, first of all, I haven't been able to work on the game the last couple of days. I tested positive for Covid just a couple days back and it has not been a great couple of days. But anyway, I'm excited to show my current progress! I finished several stuff that I listed before, namely adding enemies and a menu page. So that leaves out levels and timers for me to finish up.

Here's a short gif regarding those updates:

Honestly, I'm really happy I got to this point already. I didn't expect that I can make a game, although it is very basic. FYI, I'm aware that the objective says 10 coins, while there's still only 3. That's because I want the end product to at least have 10 coins and a timer, for the purpose of the people playing the game can compare their time and make it seem like a speed run of some sort. Well, we'll see if I can finish it by the deadline. Well, everyone, have a nice day!

Submitted

Oh no, hope you recover soon!! Good job on getting that far, you must look after yourself

Thank you! Thankfully the doctors said that my symptoms are pretty light, but yes, I'm taking care of myself!

8th Day Devlog:

Hello everyone! I'm currently still a bit sick, but nonetheless excited to finish the game!

Any who, I guess this is the final product for now. I added a speed run timer and a longer level (yay!). I got the idea for the timer from this YouTube video by Rungeon. Sad to say though, I have no idea how to move the timer to the Lose Scene or Win Scene. So unless I have a moment of brilliance by tomorrow, then I guess this is as far as I go. This was really fun to make and I hope for those of you that tries it out can show me how quickly you can beat the level. Here's a short clip showing a bit of the game:

I'll upload the game to my itch.io tomorrow if I got stuck and fail to find the solution for the timer issue. I will still upload it of course, because I absolutely enjoy the process of making the game so far. Hope I can join another game jam in the future!