Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

My first Jam Devlog Prograss

A topic by doomlightning created Jun 26, 2021 Views: 370 Replies: 16
Viewing posts 1 to 13

It is written using Google Translate, because I write faster that way than myself, it shortens my writing time significantly. So if there are non-negotiable things, blame Google.

Well, this is the first time I'm writing something like this, and it's also the first time I've gotten into such a thing, so I think that was the place I came from. I've been updating my first game creation process for a very long time.

How did I get here?

In fact, quite by chance.

I knew these things for a long time, and I went deep into everything about building games a long time ago, but when I was looking for a simulation and came to the site, I was curious and came to the main page, and I came across it.

I thought a bit, it was 10 hours before closing, so more or less, at 00:00 or 00:00 AM I signed up to challenge and also do something different interesting, and go back to something I loved to do in the past.

What are my goals I want to achieve in the Jam:

Break my "barrier of giving up": Sometimes when I start something similar, I give up even before I start because I feel desperate even before I start.

Learn something new:

I used to use Gamemaker and Scratch software to create my stuff, so I have some experience building it, but this time I want to do something different: I'm going to use Godot to actually build my first game

The feature comes from the fact that I helped translate a game in an open source game that runs on the software. And from there I became interested in the software (I'm still helping to translate and active there), but the game I'm going to build it now was in English.

Work on my self-confidence.

It calls for the first, but it is only for strengthening self-confidence and being able to do something in the short term.

Now that it's on the side, I'm going to start brainstorming first about what game I'm going to create!

I'm going to focus on the topic of jam: free.

Is it free?

According to the dictionary, there are several definitions:

Freedom, free in the sense of money, free up space, release.

I came up with 2 ideas:

The first is that there is an old idea stuck in my head while I was writing these words: Elementary: The idea that you are able to control the 4 elements of nature: fire, water, earth and air. And there you are on the platform and you have to find yourself the way out.

Problem: You can not change the selected element without some external factor or until the time runs out and you return to the original state.

The world is broken and you are the only one holding the elements scattered around the world, but once you touch them, you become their feature, but you can not change yourself until you find another element or the power runs out and you return to the original state.

You free, they are not

It's originally an old game where you'll get a ball and you can not control it, instead you break the environment. It's a game that was popular in school. It's a forgotten time.

Now, I seem to have made the subject different and simpler to the level I am at right now: restoring everything anew.

Another idea that came to my mind was taken from a World called Runeterra (League of Legends) about an area called "The Void", a place outside the universe inhabited by "Lovecraft" style monsters that were in a sleeps until one day the universe popped up and illuminated the eternal darkness they were, And because they did not like it popping up and bothering them, he tries to darken it and return to their sleep. But they are unable to enter this universe, so they use messengers in their image to gather information and know how to deal with them. It generally "liberates" the universe from its existence. It can be a kind of ideal strategy in the form of cards that you use in the cards and material you have collected to create an army or gather more information to take the universe and destroy it, but they are trying to fight back and defend themselves. The idea is a bit too ambitious for my level, so I think it focused on the first idea, which sounds simpler to my level.

I came up with other ideas besides these 2 like "freedom of choice" aspiration you want to be and it will affect the game, but even that I think it's still not at the level I am or could be at the moment.

Now that I am locked into the first idea, it remains only to start learning and building what it will look like and what the purpose is.

In terms of art: I have a lot of experience in art, but I still have not decided what style it was: something like the last painting I created or pixel-art.

In terms of gameplay, I need to think more, I'll think about it soon.

For me, today is my first day, it's another productive day and there's still plenty of time until I run out of time.\

In terms of time:

The first week is almost completely free, only travel here and there on some days, but he is totally free.

The second week I had studies in half of the day for 4 days, so the other half was meant for work on the game.

It remains to be seen how much this will affect me. If I have difficulty, I may seek help. I'm going to work on something before I officially start working on the construction of the game! Good luck to me!

(1 edit)

Day 1:

It was a day of learning about Gotod and I am currently focusing on the first idea, but for the sake of self-simplicity, I went for a character that changes situations to escape the stage.

It was mostly learning, and I was able to do something:

https://imgur.com/3Nv4nIF

its a first tryiing

I learned how to make a platform and a moving figure, and it seems that later I will learn how to do more things.

I think he focused in the near future on the character himself: trying to figure out how to change form with a situation, how it would happen, and maybe discover something along the way.

I remember while learning from a guide, if you leave a certain gravity unchanged, I imagine he continues to fall even if he steps on the platform, and when he gets off it, he just crashes and comes off the screen.

This sounds like a really great idea if for example you are in a spaceship smashed in space next to a star with strong gravity, and the only thing that protects you from crashing or smearing on the platform is a kind of boots, but to jump, you must change its state to non-gravity. you only have one second before it returns to normal, and if there's nothing below you, you crash!

https://imgur.com/ANb9ajF

this some idea drew

Maybe he's changed in what direction he wants to be before he crashes, like the VVVVVVVVVVVVVV game

You could say that it's also a kind of brainstorming, it seems to some direction it will bring me You could say that it's also a kind of brainstorming, it seems to some direction it will bring me.

my draw he its look like he some space-slime XD In doing so, I close the first day, more learning, less doing, but I'll see how it comes.

Day 2:

Today there was quite a focus mainly on the mechanics of gravitational change,

I initially tried to change and jump at the same time, but it was not so attractive and it was complicated to do this, it's in place, I went that to change the situation, you turn off, so you can float until you another key changes the desired situation, or it ends Time (currently it's about 3 seconds) and you "fly" straight in that direction. Or it's over in 3 seconds, you're automatically flying straight down.

I also did (at the time of writing this) that you are only able to change a situation if you are on some object.

After I did the gravity mode, I went back and worked on the visibility that would accentuate the situation (I still haven't put them on).

Right now, I called it: Slime Space

A mysterious black block

Is in a non-gravity state:

It looks like a carnival

After I added it, I worked on the situations a bit more and today I feel it's quite ready, but I'm afraid the animation on it was difficult:

My first attempt to do something.

And so I close the first day

(+1)

Day 3:

There is a lot of progress today:

Today I worked on a basic animation, one that will show that you are in a state of gravity, and also when you fall in a certain direction.

Up close view of animation

And then, I worked on more drawings and drew a Teilmap for the platform

And after a break, I worked on disqualification if exiting the screen and background (not my best):

So there is a lot of progress, but it is far from over.

Tip of this friend in the state of non-gravity, at the moment, he works that you press space to release, and if time does not run out, with the help of the arrows, you turn in the desired direction. You move the ASDW keys, and he suggested that pressing times instead of the arrows would save work.

That seems to be the direction I'll go tomorrow.

There's full work, but I still have no purpose.

Right now, this "cube-alien-space slime" (or slice) is trying to escape from a "spaceship" that broke in space, and along the way, "ate" controls gravity that helps it escape from the broken spacecraft.

You could say that today was fruitful for someone who does not understand GODOT

Day 4:

There did not seem to be much progress because I did not have the direction to decide what I wanted to do.

I today worked of a change in the keys, so more present (probably) to change the grit.

I also added slime balls that can be collected. Maybe you can collect them to open the stage, but probably the more you collect them, the bigger and slower you are, I need to think about it further.

I added some more art and also worked on my first "enemy":

No something Special

I think I'm going in the direction of platform puzzles, maybe even something special on the side.

I took a little more time off today, so there was not much progress, along with that, I have enough time to work on it until the submission is complete.

I also mostly learned things about how to work on Godot: I changed the code that was more readable and present to work. And I learned more to do things, but there is still a lot to do.

(+1)

I really like the idea of being able to switch between no gravity and gravity. Can't wait to see the final product!

(+1)

I myself don't know what it will look like, so I too am excited to see how it turned out in the end

(2 edits)

Day 5:

Feeling a little discouraged today, I was unable to progress to the level I wanted to do today.

Along with this, I worked on enemies:

skipes

Spikes

spikeroll

Spikeroll

I did something interesting with it, after searching for information on wall climbing, I came up with a really weird result:

And it's just getting weird:

I can move them oddly at such a level that he turns towards me. I could not solve it because my gratification is very complex, maybe I will leave it that way.

felilerns

Flilliens

He just exists right now, but I plan on following one player if he's within his radius.

I don't know how to get the position of the player in godot

I came out of a small tower shooting at the actor (supposedly).

I'm in the same problem as with the Flillien

I generally do not feel there is progress with the game, so I will finish for today, but I have a good feeling it is going to work tomorrow, hopefully.

Day 6:

It was a really exhausting day, especially as I was unable to make any progress.

But yes it seems I have a direction, I will not be destined is good or him.

I changed one of the enemies to be the main ingredient for passing the stage, and if you manage to move a certain amount, it opens you the exit and you move on to the next stage.

It's really similar to the Lemmins game

But nothing cooperated with me today.

I lingered too long on something and had to give up on it, I just am not level and do not have it online.

But yes I was able to learn the time objects. It's at least something.

That's why there are no pictures today.

Hope tomorrow was much better and fruitful.

Submitted(+1)

Some great animations man, I love the glowy bits on the no grav cube.

I'm not the best at pixel-art, but I'm glad it turned out that way.

Day 7:

The day was especially productive compared to the last few days!

First I changed the essence of the game:

Instead you alone have to do everything, now you also have a type of Lemmin-style robots that in order to open the exit gate, you need all the robots (I call them Spikroll) to reach the exit before the gate opens and you can move on to the next level !.

This is the order I have reached so far:

First, I built a gate from which the Spikroll emerges -

Simple and pretty

Then, I built the exit gate, above which, change the desired number for the gate to close / fill. I built yes that more than one gate is possible.

Closes and disappears!

Then I came out the exit gate and more animations:

When all the requirements have been met, the rest flashes and opens for exit!

According to the GIF above, there is something more mysterious: this is the jump board.

Not of the character, those of the Spikroll!

It took a while to search, but this is the end result:

So the result came out unusual and strange. Yes thing to improve is to submit more of the recorded words and also add the script you are connected to and what can be done with them.

But you could say it was a successful day.

Editor's note: The jump board is listed for climbing .... I haven't noticed it until now

(+1)

Day 7:

It’s been a week since I started working on my first game.

Progress so far:

I came out a figure

I added things

Gravity change

Change plans

Purpose?

Enemies - i add only one  and a half: spicks and spikroll?

platform

There are many more things I want to add, but I do not know if I had the time or knowledge enough to do this.

What I did today is that it initially added additional commands: climbing, stopping, changing direction and total control.

I then re-edited the climb function, and now it does "more" better.

And finally I did help with commands on each control panel, and this is the end result:

I would love your opinion on that.

Now, it remains to add more interactions (I do not plan much) and finally do "levels"

It seemed strange and interesting to me, with many changes in design. But mostly I learned how to work with Godot for the first time.

My writing is still cumbersome and I came out like a maze to understand why I made a mistake. This is what sometimes followed me in a few things: about the little mistakes.

I hope it came out well and came out well soon.

(+1)

Day 8:

Progress was slow today.

I added switches and built the information phase, but other than that there was nothing interesting today, so there is nothing to detail for today.

I plan this week to focus on building stages, music and sounds.

And maybe on the way a story too.

Submitted(+1)

Great consistent progress! keep it up :)

Thank you!

I try my best in the short frame I have

Day 9:

Unfortunately, there has been no progress today, I hope I can move somewhere tomorrow