SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

The End of the Rainbow

A topic by eloisemakesgames created Jul 05, 2019 Views: 252 Replies: 6
Viewing posts 1 to 5
(+1)

Hi everyone!

This is my second time joining My First Game Jam . Last year I made a simple narrative game in Twine -- link to the devlog for that game here.

This year I want to create a simple platform game using Gamemaker. I've had it downloaded for ages and played around a little, but never got anywhere close to a completed game.

I'd like to create a game where your sprite starts out as a grey or white square, then changes color as you pass each checkpoint, becoming rainbow coloured at the end of the game.

I'm not currently planning to add enemies/shooting/pickups, I just want it to be a very simple running and jumping kind of game. If I feel like I have time, I might add extra mechanics or some kind of story, but I want to make sure I'm realistic about what I can achieve in a short time.

I'm planning to follow this series of YouTube tutorials:

Looking forward to reading other devlogs and exchanging feedback!
(+1)

What a nice concept ! Good luck !!

Thank you!!

Host(+1)

Hey welcome back! This is a really cute concept so far, and I really like that you're already focusing on a very small scope to begin with. It's great that you've also linked the tutorial you've found helpful!

(+1)

Day 2 + 3

So, being indecisive I decided to attempt the game in Unity instead. Spent the last two days watching tutorials and building a simple platformer using free assets which I'll swap for my own at some point. I've managed to create solid platforms and a player that moves left and right and can jump, which is cool! I'm having an issue with the player toppling over when moving fast, so need to troubleshoot that.

Next, planning to create a camera that follows the player.

Getting to grips with Unity is definitely challenging so I'm happy with what I've achieved so far.

Host(+1)

unity can definitely be challenging, but we have a few mentors who are very experienced with it on the discord. if you ever get stuck or are in a pinch don't be afraid to reach out there! good luck with learning it for the jam!

That's really good to know, thank you!! Such a nice community here.