Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

A simple request (GMS 2) <Not a devlog fyi>

A topic by IghnisYK created Jul 04, 2019 Views: 182 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 4
(1 edit)

I've noticed that there's nothing here on GMS 2 (not that I'm saying you have to update it) and I know there are still many people who use GMS 1 but it would be quite helpful if you could add something for GameMaker Studio 2 and some resources cause I cannot draw for my life . . .

Submitted

I agree with Ray's suggestion. In fact, GM:S (GMS 1) is actually not available on the YoyoGames website anymore; they stopped giving out free licenses and only those that bought it before August 2018 could actually download the client from the website and activate it. (Creating a new account doesn't give you access to the download page for GM:S anymore, making it inaccessible to new developers.)

The draw features in GMS 2 are similar to GM:S aside from the idea that there are now cameras (GMS 2) representing views (GM:S) and there are no more "background" resources; every image asset is a sprite. There are also drawing layers to consider (that concept is more prominent in GMS 2 though it existed in GM:S). 

If you're challenging yourself in GML (the coding aspect of GMS 2), you can check out the docs first. You can also read about how GMS 2 handles drawing this time around in another section of the docs

The Atai project is also using GMS 2 so perhaps you both can feed off each other.

Host

ah ok i didn't realize how different they were--i had made the resource post a few years back and while there's a handful of tutorials that also have GMS2 versions, i know most of it at the time was for GMS. i'll try to revisit it with updated tutorials when i get a chance.

Thanks, really appreciate it for taking your time and replying