Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Fate's Journey

A topic by Fatima K. created Jul 17, 2018 Views: 319 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 4
(+1)

Hello everyone! Welcome to the VERY first devlog of an upcoming game called Fate’s Journey!

Story:

Mineral Cove City is a prosperous and highly advanced city located on a BEAUTIFUL island. Although it is rich in advanced technology, Mineral Cove is also known for its grand archive located in the City Hall’s underground bunker. Mayor Phate wants to keep record of more artifacts so she grants her two trusted archivists Skye and Gale to retrieve three rare gemstones, the Lunar Amulet, the Resonant Nacre, and the Obsidian Dragon Scale, back to her for preservation. As Skye and Gale set out, instead of sticking together as a team like Phate instructed, Gale sets out on her own to find the gemstones for her own selfish gain. Skye must venture through the City and the neighboring areas around it to get these gemstones for the Mayor! …. And to make sure that Gale doesn’t do anything stupid!

Now that the initial story’s been set up, it’s time to meet our main characters!

This is just an initial sketch for now but here they are!

From left to right: Mayor Phate, Skye, and Gale

Skye is our playable main protagonist

Gale is our rival character

and Mayor Phate is our Hub Navigator (think Rosalina from Super Mario Galaxy or Ciel from Megaman Zero)

Now more on our guy, Skye:

Portrait of them here (tentative design pending) ^^

Skye wields a rod given to them by Phate called the Conductor. It has control over three elements: fire, ice, and electricity. Each element has its own unique ability whenever Skye uses it:

Fire = When an enemy is touched by a fire attack, it continues damaging them for a short amount of time. It is not only effective against ice-based enemies and obstacles but when used at certain places (an oil lamp or candle for example), it can be used to create a light source. 

Ice = Enemy that’s touched by an ice attack, it freezes them in ice blocks. Skye can also freeze platforms which allow less friction.

Electricity = Enemy that’s touched by an electric attack, they get stunned for a few seconds. Skye can also activate electrically powered lamps to create a light source.

And as for the level I have in mind, since #MyFirstGameJam’s theme is Water I conveniently have an island/beach themed level in mind (the main setting IS Mineral COVE City after all)

Anyways that’s all I have in mind for now. Stay tuned for more guys! ‘til next time!

~Silly-Fly-Media

Host

aww these designs are really cute! the premise sounds really fun and campy too and perfectly arched for a jam game. i'm excited to see the setting!

(+1)

Thank you so much!

I just posted an update just now, but I'm glad to see you're looking forward to the game!

This is my first time getting into game development so my goal is to make AT LEAST one playable game level for this jam.

I've got a lot more in store with this game so I hope you guys enjoy it! ^v^

(+1)

UPDATE: 7/19/2018

Hello everyone!

So far, I’ve been tweaking up concepts including a set of palettes for our lovely protagonist Skye INCLUDING the finalized palette for them!

The last palette of the right will be Skye’s finalized palette.

Originally I was debating between the gold (Codenamed: Sunny skies) and blue (Codenamed: clear skies) palettes but then I felt like blue is fitting because well “Skye.”

Here is also a sprite concept of them in their finalized palette:

As well as a first look of what the backgrounds of the level for this game will look like:

Skye will be venturing through this beach level for this jam.

Comments? Critiques? Let me know ^.^

Host

ohhh nice!! i love your palettes already! and i love how this looks like a playable mockup already. i'm curious to see what you get in-engine!