Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Cities Adrift

A topic by SanaKitty created Jul 14, 2018 Views: 662 Replies: 10
Viewing posts 1 to 11
(+4)

Cities Adrift is a city-builder with survival aspects, designed for My First Game Jam.

After Planet Earth is almost entirely below sea-level due to a failed attempt at halting global warming, the majority of the population has fled to the few safe zones at high altitude. This has however lead to overpopulation, and without any hope of a space program re-emerging to colonize space, many serious problems were looming. With no other options in sight, the great minds of Everest joined together to create the City-Ship, a massive self-sufficient aquatic vessel capable of staying afloat endlessly, and destined to find any remaining survivors or landmasses.
In Cities Adrift, you're the commander of this City-Ship, having the responsibility of piloting, expanding, and managing everything that happens aboard. Your goal is to create a new haven for humanity, and hopefully find a solution to this disaster.

Cities Adrift is far from my first foray into game development, but it'll hopefully be my first finished project (or more likely, prototype). For a 2 week jam, it may be a bit ambitious, but when the concept hit me I had to go with it.
My main inspiration for the game was definitely Frostpunk, with its survival aspects, and scouting parties to locate survivors or resources, which will also be featured in Cities Adrift. Another game that also inspired me is the 2013 reboot of Sim City, solely for it's modular building upgrades, which I'd also like to include in Cities Adrift, albeit a bit simpler.

Features of note include:

• World Map with Points of Interest the City-Ship can be directed towards
  • Submarine Scouting Parties to explore said Points of Interest
  • Upgradable structures with visible changes
  • Quests and objectives
  • Underwater view to manage structures built beneath the surface

As it's easy for me to keep track of my work, I've made a public Trello of my progress on this project: Cities Adrift Trello

(+1)

Update 1:

After about 4 hours of work, I've finally gotten the Hexagonal Grid to mostly work! Currently, it simply allows the selection of the starting cell via its coordinates set in the game manager, and then makes its neighbours visible thanks to some (messy) lines of code to calculate which cells they are. I had a fair bit of trouble getting the neighbour system to work, but with a method to make them visible and a few bools to let the game know that they are visible, I think it's finally stable! ^-^

The green cell is the starting cell, the outlined cells being its neighbours

There's an underlying 21x21 grid of hexagonal cells that aren't visible, so that instantiation of the cells isn't required during playtime, and since the play-space will be limited.

I also quickly put in the place the simplest of UIs as can be seen.
Submitted

Sounds very interesting!

(+1)

Update 2 (end of Day 1):

• The hexagonal grid is in place, and only the built-on cells and their neighbours are visible
  • More UI, allowing access to Build Mode, and the ability to quit the game
  • Raycasting that'll lead to the start of structure placement (foundation follows the mouse seen in the image)
  • Camera movement
  • Other things I probably couldn't remember!

Here's to hoping I can keep this up! I'm confident I can get something really playable within 2 weeks at this rate! ^-^

(1 edit) (+2)

Update 3 (end of Day 2):

• Foundation placement is in place (I'm funny)
  • The available cell grid expands as you build more foundations
  • Connector bridges are created between foundations that are neighbouring
  • Resource costs for structures taken from their stats script
  • A fancy animation, sound effects and particles for when placing Foundations because I get distracted easily
  • Quick simple dev window
  • Royalty free music!

Hopefully I'll get less distracted tomorrow and get some proper buildings to build on top of Foundations in!

Submitted

This is neat! I like the little plunking down animation when you built a new hex! (I almost misspelled that "hecks," haha.) Can't wait to give it a shot when it's finished.

Submitted

Looking really good! Keep it up!

(+1)

Update 4 (end of Day 3):

• Tooltips for UI Resources
  • Day and Month system, mostly to manage resource flow
  • Resource Manager
  • Resource flow (#/day)
  • All other resource changes go through this manager
  • Adjusted manager relations (trying to get everything to connect via the GameManager)
  • Reduced foundation placement splash size
  • Resource removal text is now instantiated to allow multiple to show up
  • Adjusted build manager to allow normal structures to be placed on top of foundations
  • First structure: Power Station!

Tomorrow will most likely be a focus on getting most of the structures in the game, and ironing out bugs relating to the resource system to boot! Onwards to day 4!

(3 edits) (+2)

Update 5 (end of Day 4):

• Added 5 new structures: Housing Complex, Entertainment Complex, Greenhouse, Water Plant, Mining Rig!
  • Citizens are a new 'resource' though not yet fully integrated (since no structures can produce them)
  • Various changes to the Resource Manager to allow Food and Water control
  • Camera swivelling, rotation and pan clamping
  • Various bug and issue fixes

The following days will likely be less exciting as I've got lots of mostly coding to do to get future systems to work!

Submitted

Oooh, I like the idea and the title really grabbed my attention! Looks like you're doing great so far.

(+1)

Update 6 (end of Day 6):

• Really ugly world map!
  • Ship engines required to allow movement between points of interest on the world map
  • City-ship movement
  • That's about it...

I've had no energy the past two days, so this is all I've accomplished; hopefully this exploration system gives me the energy to work on the system that interests me the most, though!