Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[Devlog] Fall of the Mole-Man

A topic by PuppetDungeon created Aug 02, 2017 Views: 267 Replies: 1
Viewing posts 1 to 2
(1 edit)

I can trace the fall of my career in game design to one event... it's what solidified my hate of programming and set me down the path of art.  25 years ago my backpack was stolen.  Now it was bad enough it had 2 books for class I had to replace, and a few hundred bucks in art supplies (my beloved Prismacolor pencils... T_T ) ... but it also had my games.  Specifically page after page of code, game ideas, prototypes, and a few actually finished games.

Now when it came to art, I always found it easy to reimagine and reproduce... and I set my brain to work on that.  Programming games though, especially back then, was a pain I wasn't keen on repeating.  

So suddenly all these years later I started having dreams.  Not dreams of code... but dreams of what those games could have been.  It's those dreams, and the work of my game dev friends, that has finally gotten me to this point... signing up for a game jam with just a few days to get something playable going.

Day 1: 

Dug up old art and notes.  Decided to revive an old prototype that was a "reverse Dig Dug"... where a subterranean monster had to defend against human invaders.  The original used a mechanic similar to Qix where the character would tunnel under enemies, and kill them if the tunnel was successful.  Eventually I'd like to improve on this with upgrades, powers, etc.

Questions, comments, and criticism always welcome.

Day 2:  of the DEAD!

Well, the best laid plans of mice and mole-men.  Got some backgrounds and coding done, and several ideas on how to do the digging mechanic before sickness set in.  (You know those handy-wipes at the cart corral in stores?  Use them no matter how brief a trip you take)  On the bright side it's gotten me started on making this game, and lit a fire for game dev I haven't felt in ages... but I really did want to get at least a proto up and running.

So what does this mean?  The jam may be over but the game lives on.  As soon as I am no longer coughing up lungs, I will resume work at a more reasonable pace.  Big thanks to those who've looked in on this project!