Jobs
Tags

[Devlog] Framed

A topic by Monsterbat created Jul 28, 2017 Views: 205 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 3
Submitted

Day 1, July 27

Good day to you!

Partway through creating my last game, I realized that my heart wasn't really in it. I was putting off doing it instead of getting excited to make it like my first game. As this is "My First Game Jam," I finished it and submitted it, and people were happy... but I wasn't. It was simplistic and not very creative. In fact, I had designed it that way thinking it'll give me something to start with, then once it's done I can add to it. But then, I finished with nine days to spare and with nothing to add.

Then I had an idea I was genuinely excited about. I hope to make this game and show it to you great people in my remaining time and see if I can make something I'm truly proud of!

I call it "Framed" (a pun on 'Frame,' which is what a level is called in Clickteam Fusion).  It's a 2d pixelated-style horror puzzle game in which the player explores a house while a mysterious presence stalks them. Simple enough, but there's a twist- the player must solve puzzles based on the various numbers and phrases strewn throughout the house. They do this with the help of a mysterious tablet/computer interface that allows them to input the numbers/phrases and output the solutions and hints to the various puzzles. The problem is that, while the computer is up, it's possible for the player to be attacked by the monster. If they don't check the environment, they'll die by the monster, but if they put the computer down they lose everything they were typing. They have to balance if they want to survive.

Today, I began work on the project, implementing a basic movement system and adding sprites for the player and environment. This is what I came up with after an hour or two:

Tomorrow, I hope to implement a few hints and the first glimpse of the monster. Happy trails, everyone!

-Rastabon

Submitted

Day 2, July 28

I worked on the computer interface and got a primitive version up and running!

As you see, it covers the whole screen so you won't be able to see if a monster comes up. I may work on it a bit more later, but at least its working!

-Rastabon

Submitted

Day 3, July 31

I have made the scares!

You're gonna have to look close, probably. Also added a jumpscare, but I'm not spoiling the surprise. Aaaaand the puzzles are done! Level 1 is complete!

-Rastabon

Submitted

Finished up the game with a cheesy ending and a secret, as well as a new name and some hints! It's now "Escape" and it is playable in the browser. Enjoy!

-Rastabon