Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Game Dev Chat Sticky

A topic by Mari Humphreys created Apr 18, 2022 Views: 256 Replies: 15
Viewing posts 1 to 6
HostSubmitted

Hello! We want this to be a place where you can brainstorm and share ideas. Feel free to share what you're working on here! Whether you're wrestling with a mechanic and want some advice, want to run a concept by some other folks, or just brag on something you're proud of, this is a great place to do so! We're excited to see what you come up with!

Submitted

Does this sound like something folks would want to play? (Goblin Market is probably too generic so just a working title) Each adventure would be a one-shot in a new Victorian city/village with a new target to corrupt.

In The Goblin Market the players take up the part of the goblins striving to tempt the good folk of the world into sampling their wares. At each stop the leader imparts the players with a target to entice. These unsuspecting victims range from a stalwart resurrectionist to a righteous barrister. Each with their complications and weaknesses.

The more people they corrupt the weaker the veil between our worlds becomes until the two merge. A twisted reality from the most disturbed Victorian fairy tales. But, beware, there are sworn enemies who know the true motives of the goblinkind. Hunters, zealots, and the vengeful are all dangers most fatal.

It is up to the players to navigate these treacheries and beguile their target without giving away the location of the Goblin Market.

HostSubmitted

Oh rad! Almost like a reverse heist

Submitted

I have never done one these before, how 'done' does the game have to be? I'm just one person but will have fully fleshed out rules. Like, do I need art? Should it be formatted in a certain program? Or, is this just a, 'hey man, we're here to create'?

HostSubmitted

Our game jam is super casual! Most of the time, I just type things out in a google doc then export it to a PDF. Shoot for having complete playable rules, but it can still be an early draft. And if you don’t have it quite ironed out, you can still submit, no worries! Mostly, like you said, we’re just here to create! Whatever you submit is great!

HostSubmitted

I'm working on a competitive goblin heist game that draws a little on Fiasco. I'm really excited about how it's coming along!

Submitted

awesome! I've already had one pivot in my in game goal and I love it. What are some people's change ups already?

HostSubmitted

Ooh, nice! What kind of pivot?

I've stuck with my original concept, but I've had the chance to playtest it once and made some significant changes to the mechanics and flow.

Submitted

that sounds significant! Well, I went from goblins are trying to corrupt the Victorian folk to goblins are the REASON that Era was so terrible so now the players will have ways to not only tempt people they can cause whole city sections to descend into sin.

HostSubmitted

Oh how interesting!

Submitted

What do you all use for formatting/page layout? I feel like I'm getting close to being finished but my layout is an absolute mess! 

HostSubmitted(+1)

honestly, my first version is always just a google doc exported to a PDF. If you want to get fancy, Affinity Publisher is a popular choice. 

Submitted(+1)

I'm on the same plan of Google Doc, with some minor tables embedded. Hadn't thought about transferring to PDF but that probably makes sense!

HostSubmitted(+1)

yeah! You can generate tables within the google doc. I’m using one, too! And you can download the whole thing as a PDF. 

Submitted(+1)

I used Google docs and Canva for the layout of some of my games, but currently I use InDesign. I think Canva is pretty intuitive to use and most functions are free so I would recommend that.

Submitted

I've only ever used Canva for Logo Design, so I will have to take a look!