Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Literary game brainspace

A topic by breathingstories created 39 days ago Views: 115 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 2
Submitted(+1)

heya folks. I feel like writing a literary game works best from a certain brainspace. The specifics of that brainspace are probably different for everyone, so I think the best question to ask is - what do you do to get into your literary game writing brainspace?

HostSubmitted

I usually do some automatic writing to find a flow and then work on figuring out the voice. Those are the two most important parts of the writing for me. With other games it usually involves figuring out the mechanics first and finding a voice that fits that, but for more literary/lyric stuff it's all about flow and voice, and atmosphere as like a tertiary thing.

Submitted (1 edit)

ooh, thanks snow! I鈥檝e found automatic writing difficult in the past - my brain always wants to get involved! 馃槅馃槄

HostSubmitted

It's definitely something to practice because I have that same issue sometimes. But even then, just starting to write without a goal is a great place to start, even if the brain is being the brain haha 

I'd also suggest setting a goal of like 2k words and making yourself fill that. Just write absolute nonsense, repeat the same word over and over again. Anything to tap into that flow state. Cause once you hit the flow, the brain can be involved and you can plot and structure and all that other stuff. The flow just helps reach a point where you aren't, like, stuck looking at the blank page wondering what to write.

Submitted

thanks snow, I appreciate the tips and support!