Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Mentor advice on managing time/workloads

A topic by Cheeseness created Jun 03, 2023 Views: 395
Viewing posts 1 to 1
Host

In the third of our series of "mentor advice" threads, this year's mentors are offering their perspectives on managing time and workloads - something that may feel very relevant now that we've crossed the halfway mark.

StraToN

Try to split your mechanisms into as small gears as you can

Akien

Once you've narrowed down what game you want to make, try to come up with a rough outline of what you'll need to do (programming, art, sfx, etc.) with time estimates.

Consider at minimum that any estimate you'd make should be doubled. You can implement your basic character controller in one hour? Budget two.

Keep reasonable expectations and don't overwork yourself. If the list of things you have to do is too daunting, then simplify your game concept so it stays a fun and fulfilling experience.

jotson

Don't sacrifice your health for a game. You don't have to work 24/7. Make regular progress, no matter how small, and you'll get there.

Trevor

For me, the best thing is making a routine.  For me, working for an hour a day at a set time makes me far more productive than if I'm working different hours at different times of day.

Cheese

I always aim to finish early. In a 10 day game jam, I aim to be done by day 7. That buffer either lets me have a nice break at the end, or it gives me room to handle the unexpected without running up against the clock.

I know that I'm able to pull all nighters and run everything up to the last minute, but I also know that that doesn't result in my best work.