Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Mentor advice on selecting tools/technologies

A topic by Cheeseness created May 23, 2023 Views: 598
Viewing posts 1 to 1
Host (1 edit)

In the leadup to the jam, this year's mentors have offered some advice on picking tools to work with. If you haven't quite settled on what you're using for the jam, you might find some helpful perspectives.

jotson

Players don't care how you make your game. If you want to get experience so that you can get a job, then learn the tools that are relevant to that job. E.g. learn Unity if you want to work someplace that uses Unity. If you don't have any constraints then try them all and use the one that you like best.

StraToN

Use the tool that you feel most comfortable with. Take a few time to use tools on very basic projects to get used to it

Trevor Powell

When creating a game on a deadline, such as for a jam, pick technologies and tools with which you're already comfortable.  Use your jam time working on the game rather than on the tech!

Cheeseness

When it comes to jams, I'm often more open to experimenting with tools and workflows that are new to me. It's to justify during a jam than for contract/project work where there are different pressures and outcomes!

I try to make sure that it's only one tool or one workflow that's new - maybe that's trying a different workflow in Blender, or maybe it's using a new engine, or maybe it's writing an implementation I've never tried before. Everything else needs to be familiar, comfortable, and reliable.

Akien

Don't overthink it! You don't have to compare all options to find The One™, and commit to it for eternity. Game development is a very wide field, and depending on your interests there are tons of technologies available that can empower different creative minds.

Find something that looks _fun_, especially for a jam. And a tool which won't go too much in your way. If you're enjoying yourself, and feel empowered, then you picked the right technologies :)