Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Space Panic Devlog

A topic by SheepStareGames created Dec 30, 2015 Views: 8,005 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 3

Introduction

I'm Harry, a developer from Leeds, UK. During the day I'm a PhD student researching the formation of massive stars, as are the other two developers on my team, Jake and Greg and also Marc our game designer! Our artist, Russ, is from Southern Ontario, Canada. Jamming has been great fun so far :D.

Game Idea

Imagine you've lost your tether to a space station and you're now floating in space. You must safely move your astronaut through an infinite maze of asteroids, finding and picking up important resources as you do. These resources (most importantly oxygen) need to be maintained in order for you to survive longer.

Picking up a resource will move the player to the POV of the astronaut, looking out his/her helmet into a slowly rotating view of stars. Your arm passes in front of you and you have to solve a Pipe Mania-style game, guiding fluid through pipes, in order to collect the resource within a time limit. These pipe puzzles get harder the longer you play and the longer you play the higher your score.

The pipe puzzle minigame starts you with a random grid of pipes (imagine Pipe Mania or the hacking game in Bioshock). You have to solve the grid by clicking pipe segments to rotate them, so that the entry pipe leads to the exit pipe. This gets more difficult the longer you play by giving you a larger grid, longer pipe solutions or a shorter time limit. For the different resources we plan to introduce "colour splitters" for more valuable resources. These are entry pipes that split the fluid down more than one pipe which you have to guide to separate exits (matching their colour) - meaning you have to solve for more pipes simultaneously. We've tried to make this game different from the games mentioned before - and also trying to make this fun to play as it looks like this'll be the main focus of the game.

Pipe Puzzle

Here begins the dev stuff: first off I made a generator to produce grids that have a solution (possibly more than one). The generator starts at the entry pipe and recursively searches each path for a solution. At the easiest difficulty the generator guides the solution pipe straight towards the exit. For harder puzzles though I decided to keep a "turn-off counter", i.e. the remaining number of times a pipe needs to be put down that is aimed away from the exit.

The pipe shape is determined afterwards by looking at a bitmask calculated during generation for each segment in the grid. The parts of the grid not filled in after this generation are randomly generated and all tiles are eventually randomly rotated.

Pipe Fluid Shader

We needed to find a way to animate these pipes filling up with fluid. At first Jake had the idea to use animated masks along with a fluid texture to do this. After trying for a few hours I finally figured out how to do it but along the way I found a tutorial on shaders which included a Simplex noise effect. The effect doesn't look exactly fluid-like so I searched around some more until I found a "flow noise" GLSL shader by Ken Perlin and Fabrice Neyret (2001). This noise is typically used to create fluid, lava, smoke effects in games and it looks pretty good!

Pipe Puzzle Solution

Today I made the pipe puzzle fill with the fluid shader when it's solved! It's possible to tweak how fast this fluid moves around and its scale but I decided to leave that until the end as it's more important to get a finished game done before making it look pretty.

I also utilised libgdx's TexturePacker to put all our pixel art in a TextureAtlas. The atlas has a map of all the regions on the atlas texture and initially reads them from atlas files generated by the TexturePacker. Russ now gives us sprites as separate images so that the packer can do all the work. This way if we change the size of sprite images or remove some unnecessary ones we don't have to change anything in the code. It also makes the code cleaner!

Next up I want to introduce a timer, and a pipe on the side that effectively counts down until the fluid enters the grid and starts filling segments while you're still solving.

Submitted

So, I'm Jake, and I am working with Harry on the aforementioned game, and have been designing the infinite maze generation, which seems like a good topic for a devlog post.

Infinite mazes

So, since we can't generate the entire maze at once (duh!), we need to split the maze into patches, and generate a bunch of them around the player wherever they happen to be. This is not unlike how minecraft handles world generation with chunks.

Seeding

It would be nice if the maze was generated the same if we travel away from a given patch and back again. To accomplish this we can set the seed of the random number generator based on the x,y of the patch and a number we set at the start of the game (commonly refereed to as the "seed" for the map), giving us a fixed maze that is different each time we load up the game, sweet! I'm using the RandomXS128 random number generator included in LibGDX, the state of which is held in two numbers, so

rng.setState(seed + x, seed + y);

seems like the natural thing to do. However as you move though the maze vertically or horizontally, only one of the numbers is changing, and the other by not very much, and the maze is not very random at all. It turns out

rng.setSeed(seed + (x << 16) + y);

is much better. The y coordinate is still not varying the seed by much, but we are only after the illusion of randomness, and after some testing, it seems ok. We will leave a comment for future us in case it becomes a problem.

Patch boundaries

Ok, we have our random number generator ready to go, now we just have to generate a patch from it. But we can't just go making patches willy-nilly, the patches actually have to join up into a coherent maze. So lets generate the boundary, and lets do it simply:

public int[] createPatchBoundary(int x, int y) {
int nCells = Patch.PATCH_HEIGHT + Patch.PATCH_WIDTH - 1;
int[] bound = new int[nCells];
setRandomState(x, y);
for (int i = 0; i < nCells; ++i) {
if (rng.nextFloat() <= boundaryPathChance) {
bound[i] = PATH;
} else {
bound[i] = WALL;
}
}
return bound;
}

createPatchBoundary generates an array of cells that will form the left and bottom edges of our patches. We run this for our current patch and the ones above and to the right (and above and to the right) to fill in the border of our patch. boundaryPathChance is exactly what it sounds like, the chance of a given cell on the boundary to be a path. Which gives us a nice dial to fiddle with later for balancing. 0.5 seems like a good choice for the time being.

Patch centre

The juice of the problem, as it were. I tried a few different approaches, both on pen and paper and in code, and this is what I settled with. It definitely could be improved, but it seems to work for the purposes of the game. First we ignore the boundaries, and generate a perfect maze in the central section. (A perfect maze is one that has no loops). There are loads of ways to do this, but I chose the growing tree algorithm, because it's pretty simple to implement, and offer a certain amount of flexibility.

Fixing it up

So now we have something like this (for a 10x10 patch size, "." is a path, "X" is a wall):

X.....X.XXX
..XX.X.X...
X.X..X.X.X.
X.XX...X.X.
.....X.....
.XXXXXX.XXX
X.........X
X.XXXXX.X.X
X.X.....X..
X.XX.X.XX.X
..XX..X.X.X

Which is actually very serviceable as a maze. However, as you move though a field of similar patches, the maze is very open (at least on this patch size), and not really very challenging to navigate. We need to block off some paths. First let use label each path, to note which boundary it belongs (note "." now represents a wall, to make the numbers clearer):

Numbers 1-4 are the sides, and 5 is the centre (if you couldn't work that out on your own). Now we iterate over all the cells, and for any "5" cells, we note which numbers it is adjacent to, making lists of each combination of adjacencies. Then, block of all but one from the lists for "4" and for "2". This means that the centre maze is still connected to those sides, but at only one point. The reason we don't do the same for "1" and "3" is that the patches to the left and down will be doing the same, and it is a bit to restrictive to block off from both sides.

After doing so, we end up with something like:

We lost 2 connections to the "2" side and 1 connection to the "4" side. Note that the top left "5" survived as it is connected to the "1" side as well. This is an arbitrary choice, but doing so lets us keep connectivity up. Note that although we are connected to all 4 sides, this doesn't guarantee connectivity between patches. If the patch below decided the only connection it wanted to keep to use was in the 8th column, we wouldn't be connected to them at all. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, we do want some dead ends and roundabout routes bigger than a single patch, but we would like a dial to play with to go between this, and what we had before we started blocking things off. So we end up with something like:

while (connectionList.size() > 1) {
   if (rng.nextFloat() <= blockChance) {
      int index = rng.nextInt(connectionList.size());
      Point choice = connectionList.get(index);
      patch[choice.x][choice.y] = WALL;
      connectionList.remove(choice);
   } else {
      break;
   }
}

We can control the degree to which blockages are placed with the blockChance variable. 1.0 gives us full blocking (down to one connection), 0.0 gives us the unblocked behaviour.

On patch size

Generally larger patch size results in better quality mazes, as more of the maze is generated as a "perfect" maze, however if blockChance is left at 1.0, the connections to the boundary are going to get further apart, and less likely to actually connect the two patches. To combat this, a similar approach to the blocking method can be taking to introduce more connections. By looping over cells, looking for wall cells that are neighboured by a "5" and one of the boundaries, and grouping these points by boundary, single paths can be placed that create more connections from patch to patch. Assigning a probability to this gives another dial to play with in order to fine tune the resulting maze.

Final Thoughts

The algorithm outlined above still has the chance of screwing over the player. If you are really unlucky you could get boxed in the first patch (1 in ~70 billion on a 10x10 patch). After some play testing, it seems plenty good enough for what we want it for, however, here are some ideas on how to improve the alogrithm:

- Guarantee n paths on a boundary

- Generate a perfect maze on the patch level, in order to decide which boundaries to connect and block off

- Do a path-finding along the walls to connect boundaries to the centre further than one cell away.

Hi Jake!