Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Jetpack Dynamite Devlog

A topic by JPD created Dec 22, 2015 Views: 562 Replies: 2
Viewing posts 1 to 2
(2 edits)

I may be a few days late to the party but here's my first post. I've been playing around with some ideas on how to implement my project but I think I have it all figured out.

I've never made a game before, so the learning curve is significant (I doubt I'm alone in this). The first task I wanted to complete was getting my physics simulation up and running. Box2d makes this very easy so that was no problem. The next was tougher: procedurally generated terrain. Maybe not the best place for a new developer to jump in, but I find the topic interesting. I actually found it fairly easy to achieve for my 2d game by using Box2D ChainShape + midpoint displacement. Where I got stuck was how to render this terrain. After much researching, I learned all about creating meshes and rendering them with shadres.

Feeling good about my progress so far.

And here's the BitBucket repository

Submitted

Looking great man. And yeah if this is your first time, Box2D is not in the top 5 friendliest things to learn I still hit my head with it quite a lot, but it sure helps a lot.

Thanks, I'm looking at how to implement joints in Box2D now..there's much to learn!