SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Conditions Clarity

A topic by Joan Sol ROO created Sep 15, 2020 Views: 314 Replies: 6
Viewing posts 1 to 7
(+7)

Hello, 

I would like some clarification about the contrast between the jam description and the terms and conditions. 

The jam is an open international call that invites "diverse creators from around the world", while the term and conditions mention that to be ellegible  * "You must be at least 16 years old to receive an award.  I  addition, you must be a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident and at least 18 years old to receive a Prize." *.

I find it rather dishonest that this not being explicitly mentioned in the main jam page: only US citizens and resitents are el legible for the very explicit monetary reward. Being a private contest, you owe nothing to the people that would like to participate, BUT the second item that aggravates this, as the submission has a rather strong license contract (by simply submitting). 

(i) Grant the Organizers a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free and cost-free, unrestricted, unlimited, irrevocable, perpetual, and sub-licensable right and license to use, copy, reproduce, distribute, have distributed, make derivative works of, display, exhibit, perform, and promote your Submission, or any portion of your Submission, and your name and likeness in connection with the operation of their businesses, including but not limited to, the operation, marketing, and promotion of Jamming the Curve and the IndieCade Anywhere and Everywhere Festival. 

I can see how many submissions will be done under the wrong impression of competing for a large price, provide potentially high quality jam entries, only to not be awarded BUT still potentially used for media distribution, replicated, and even used for derivative work, all this royalty free. 

Jammers don't normally need a motivation, and this is a noble cause, but I would say this is not correctly advertised. 

(1 edit) (+2)

Thanks for pointing this out, Organizers should mention it in title, that prizes are only for “US Citizens”

thanks man. we were totally unaware of this

Jam Host(+3)

Thanks for bringing these topics up and we are working to see how we can make the cash prizes available to international jammers. A couple things that might be worth highlighting in the meanwhile and that we should have done a better job of making clear at the beginning:

- Games from international teams are still eligible for Honorable Mention Awards and can still get featured at the IndieCade festival

- Someone asked this question earlier: if a submission has at least one US citizen that submission is eligible for $ prize and then can be divided up among the rest of the team regardless of citizenship. What a team does with the $1,000 is none of any of the organizers' business.  

I know this is an imperfect solution but as I said LabX is working with some legal and accounting folks at the National Academy of Sciences  to figure out how to ensure international entries are eligible.. We will make an announcement as soon as there are any updates. Thanks again for bringing all this up and sorry for the confusion.

Jam Host(+3)

Hey all, we are working on updating the Terms and Conditions right now but I wanted to let you know that international jammers now ARE eligible for the prizes and grants. Thanks for bringing this up otherwise I don't think it would have happened and the Jam will be all the better because of it!

Submitted

Hey, I've submitted the game Pharm Simulator.  I was updating the game today and I deleted the attached zip file only to find out that I could not upload a new build because the jam is closed. At the moment, My entry is not playable for evaluation.  What can I do to re upload my game or revert to the build from yesterday?

(+1)

Very glad to read that you found a way of correcting the situation.

Thank you for your efforts.