Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Questions and Answers Sticky

A topic by Spinoff created Jul 26, 2022 Views: 893 Replies: 34
Viewing posts 1 to 18
Host(+1)

If you have any questions, leave your question here and we'll get to it ASAP.

Hi, saw this jam and decided to play a couple of games made with your app and I absolutely adored them both. I'd really like to be able to make a game for the upcoming jam, but I don't own an IOS device. I can run the app just fine on my MacBook, but if I understand correctly, the inability to shake the device means I can't access the HTML export feature. Is there (or will there be in time for submissions) an alternative way to access this feature?

Host(+2)

Hi. We appreciate your interest in our app! We will soon add an alternative way to download the HTML file for iPad and Mac users :) You can simply long-press the thumbnail for more than two seconds [Spinoff app - My - published - game detail page]. 

What kind of stories does the Spinoff team like?

Host

Hi BeverlyBean!  We love all kinds of stories. Please create any story you want, which will surely be awesome đŸ˜†.

Submitted (1 edit)

Not a question but just wanted to say I’m so excited to join this second jam! Thanks Spinoff crew! 🌞

Host

Thank you so much for participating in the second jam. We are happy to have you again đŸŒž. Go for it!

(+1)

that's unfortunate it's only available on ios and not android :/

Host

Hi. We are working on an Android app, but it won't be ready for this jam. We are sorry we cannot have you this time but genuinely hope you participate next time. 

The rewards were fairer on your first Jam. Why did you make such a distribution in this jam and would you consider editing it?

Host

Thank you for your feedback. We had a lot of discussions on how to structure the rewards during the preparation. Ultimately, we settled on increasing the prizes for first-place and runners-up. We particularly wanted to increase the rewards for the runners-up compared to our last jam.

I am not sure if it would be possible to edit the distribution mid-jam, but if you have suggestions, we would love to know. We will refer to it for our next jam, if not for this one.

Thank you!

Submitted

Hi! Me and my friends want to join this jam, how can we join as a group?

Host

Hi ms_NightBlade!

You can join our jam using one of your or your friends' itch.io accounts. Alternatively, I guess you could create an account representing your group and use it if you prefer.

Either way, when you submit your game, you will see a short form asking if you worked on it alone or as a group. If it is as a group, it will also ask for usernames associated with the group.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or need more clarification. Thank you!

I get this on the app store:
"The item you’ve requested is not currently available in the Mexican store."
Any possibility it gets available in Mexico during this jam?

Host(+1)

Hi! The spinoff app is, in fact, available in the Mexico App Store. Are you still seeing the message? The App Store seems a bit unstable now; I also see the same message for the US App Store. If the issue persists after a few hours, please let us know. Thank you!

(1 edit)

Still getting the same message on the app when I get asked to open the store from this link here: https://apps.apple.com/app/id1601191919

And Spinoff doesn't show up when I do a manual search on the app. :(

Same things happen if I change the store region to U.S. Tells me it's not available in the U.S. store.

Host(+1)

Could you send us an email at hello@playspinoff.com? If possible, please include your device model and iOS version information.

We suspect either something related to the iOS version or the network. I think we should be able to resolve the issue after trying a few simple things.

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you.

Sent.

Is there any way to access the tutorial again? i had gone through the tutorial before but wasnt able to use the app cuz of personal problems...

Host

Hi! There are two ways for you to access the tutorial. You can simply use either of them :)

1. Go to the game editing page and find the menu icon on the top left. Now tap the 'Help' button, and you will see the 'Quick tips How to use editor' image on the top. Just click it. 
2. Go to the explore page and find the search icon on the top right. Then, enter "Editor Tutorial." 

Hope this helps. Cheers! 

Submitted

Excited to make a game on the Spinoff app. I do have a question about steamy (NSFW) content. I want to make a game that is not explicit, shows no nudity, and doesn't describe sexual acts. But it does show some sexy pics and describe events lead up to it. 

Is this ok or does this violate your rule of no explicit content? 

Thanks!

Host

Hi kaptainviciorious,

We, too, are excited that you are making a game on Spinoff. Though I do not know how explicit the pics will be, if the game shows no nudity and doesn't describe sexual acts, I do not think it will be an issue. If you want to, you can send us some sample images, and I can ask my colleague responsible for the matter.

By the way, below is the Age Rating of the Spinoff app on the App Store. I guess you could refer to it as a guide.

12+
Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence

Please let us know if you have any questions or need more detailed answers. You can reach us at hello@playspinoff.com as well.

Thank you!

Submitted

Thanks! This gives me a better idea of what to avoid. I might send a couple pics to your email to make sure they are allowed.

Submitted (1 edit)

Does the app support animation/gifs? Can they be uploaded? Also are fonts for dialogue able to be changed?

Host(+1)

Hi! Unfortunately, we don't support animation, gifs, and fonts as of now. However, here's the good news :) These features will be updated next time. Please look forward to our next update đŸ˜Œ.

Hi, I'm new to the app. I'd like to ask, what's the optimal resolution to import backgrounds?

Host (1 edit)

Welcome! The optimal resolution is 720*1280. We are looking forward to playing the game you will create :)

Submitted (1 edit)

Hi, thank you for hosting the Jam. I just found out about the jam a few days ago and already  had something cooking up. Just a question: would it be against  the rule to encourage player to rate on your page, something like " If you enjoyed the game, leaving a rating would be much appreciated", or tweet about it? 

Host

Hi Saitoki,

Of course, you can encourage players to rate your game and tweet about it! This will never go against our rules. You can also attach hashtags such as #Spinoffevent2, #Spinoff, or #Interactivestoryjam to your Twitter message to attract more people. Below is the link to Spinoff's Twitter. Please check this, and let's follow each other đŸ€—.

https://twitter.com/playspinoff

Submitted

How can I solve the missing scenes and also how to set ending scene

Host

Hi,

1. You can link a missing scene to other scenes using the "Set Scene Link" button in the bottom right.
2. You can set ending scenes by tapping the "Set Scene Link" and clicking the "No link, end here" option. 

Please refer to the links below for more detailed information. 

For links: https://help-iphone.playspinoff.com/links
For ending scenes: https://help-iphone.playspinoff.com/ending-scenes

Thank you!

Quick suggestion for a future update:

It would be great to have layered scene visuals, such that backgrounds can stay the same while characters, portraits, sprites, etc. can be overlaid. As of now, if you want to show a new character talking, you need to make an entirely new background with that character in it. Loving the app!

Host(+1)

Hi,

Here's good news! The exact same feature you mentioned is going to be updated in mid-October. Please wait for it. We will be back with better functions real quick :)

Submitted (1 edit)

How to publish to .HTML please 

Please reply the submission is ending I already publish it to spinoff app

Host

Hi,

Try shaking your phone in [Spinoff app - My - published - game detail page].

*For iPad and Mac users: Just long-press the thumbnail for more than two seconds!

Please check the “How to Submit” on the jam page :)