Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Copyright Concerns?

A topic by isabelle adena kestrel created Feb 10, 2023 Views: 92 Replies: 2
Viewing posts 1 to 2
Submitted

hi! i made a game last month that i’m very proud of, but it makes liberal use of music/sounds ripped from a 2001 GameCube game so i’m worried it might not be something that could be included in a paid bundle for legal reasons.

i’m curious if something like this has come up in the past and how previous submissions might have been handled? maybe replacing the assets would be an option (and would add a funny meta-layer to the existing game), but also that’s additional work i might not want to bother with unless i know the game will be included in the bundle…

so kind of a chicken and egg situation lmao. not a big deal either way, just been wanting to submit something for a while and this dumb game has turned out to be one of the most substantial and “complete” things i’ve made in a minute! figured it wouldn’t hurt to ask :)

Host (1 edit)

I take a "transformative" stance when it comes to using other people's assets where it's fine if it feels like you are using the assets purposefully and not just stealing someone else's work and passing it as your own. Now, "legally" speaking I don't think this is the case, but I highly doubt industry lawyers have got eyes on Indiepocalypse nor do I think an overexcited game site will inadvertently snitch on the zine. 

Basically, don't worry about changing anything. Worst case if it's in the zine and someone gets mad we could worry about replacing it then. Forgiveness instead of permission and all that.

Submitted

that was my same attitude while making it ☺️ will submit, thanks!