SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

4 Colors mode on GB Studio

A topic by Scotaire created May 14, 2023 Views: 138 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 5
Submitted

Hello everyone,

We're planning to make a game in the 4-colors palette, but in the greyscale one.

GBStudio uses the green palette by default

Is it possible to set the original Game Boy (not GB Color) with this greyscale palette instead of the green one? Or are we forced to use GB Color settings?

We found no documentation about this topic, but several games cited in examples are black and white so we figured it might be possible to set it up like this without the green tones

Host (2 edits)

GB Studio doesn't use a green palette actually. The green tones are just for building.

When started in the internal emulator or web application it will act like a Game Boy Color and automatically pic these weird green, blue and red palette, if I remember correctly. 

It let's you choose different palettes by using the arrow keys and A and B button. 

But you can force a palette nonetheless, like some original games also did. I figured that out a while ago. 

*I'm currently at work / not at home, so you have to wait a bit for a tutorial, but it's totally possible.

Host

https://github.com/binji/binjgb/blob/main/src/builtin-palettes.def

Link is the pallette list.

For web export, you can change the default palette in the web files exported under web/js/script.js  Line 30 reads "const DEFAULT_PALETTE_IDX = 83;"   83 is the GB Studio default. 0 or 5 should be greyscale. 

Not sure how it works for a usual ROM export to be played on an actual Game Boy. I though it was the same but it isn't. 

Submitted (1 edit)

Oh I see, well we could never have figured it out on our own, lol

Thank you so much!

Host

You're welcome.