Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Unsure if game is folky-appropriate, thought I'd ask

A topic by Aryxymaraki created Aug 17, 2020 Views: 138 Replies: 2
Viewing posts 1 to 2
Submitted

Hello!  I've recently designed a game and discovered/remembered (a little of each) this jam, which it might fit into, but also might not.  The easiest way seemed to me to just ask.

The game is Hell Holes, a fantasy golf dice game in which you must escape from Golf Hell by winning a golf tournament.  It doesn't take itself very seriously, as you might be able to tell.  As someone who grew up WASP in New England, golf and hell are both pretty significant historocultural elements, and I drew significantly on Dante's Inferno for inspiration (and some art); but because they are also associated with modernity and with certain power structures we see in the world today, there's ambiguity both in whether or not they should be considered folklore and whether or not they should be in this space even if they are.

Let me know if you have an opinion (possibly including 'you should have just submitted it stop overthinking things'), thanks :)

HostSubmitted

According to Wikipedia,

Folklore is the expressive body of culture shared by a particular group of people; it encompasses the traditions common to that culture, subculture or group. These include oral traditions such as tales, proverbs and jokes. They include material culture, ranging from traditional building styles to handmade toys common to the group. Folklore also includes customary lore, the forms and rituals of celebrations such as Christmas and weddings, folk dances and initiation rites. Each one of these, either singly or in combination, is considered a folklore artifact.

Sounds like your game fits the definition of folklore. :)

Submitted

Awesome, thank you :)