Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

So Long And Thanks For All The Chips!

A topic by cthutu created Jun 06, 2022 Views: 71 Replies: 1
Viewing posts 1 to 2
Host (1 edit)

Yes, that is the title of the game I am writing!  In an attempt to get some basic routines working for an upcoming text adventure game I am writing, I've decided to do a little prequel for this Jam.  It's a 12 location adventure game with around 5 puzzles to solve.  So it's not big at all.

Today, I am dealing with text.  Specifically, printing it on screen, and compressing it so I can fit a reasonable amount of text (along with code) within 8K.  With the help of my father (who's a great writer), I've finished the location text and for those 12 locations it takes over 3K.  With compression is takes around 1.5K.  The compression scheme I am using is ZX0, written by Einar Saukas.  Perhaps a ZX0 compressor and decompressor might be an interesting project for the next DotJam!

I need to decompress it at start-up to a larger buffer, and write some routines that can word-wrap the text.  When this is done I will post some screenshots.  I am currently writing it within Odin itself.  I `ORG` the code to` $6000`, and decompress it to `$8000` onwards.  I also have the 768 bytes of the sinclair font compressed too and that comes to around 400 bytes.  When I want to create the .dot file, I will change the `ORG $6000`, to `ORG $6000,$2000` and add `SAVE "solong.dot",$6000,$-$2000` to create the dot file itself.  If I do that initially, I won't be able to run the game inside Odin as the addresses will be all wrong.

Submitted

This will be great to see as an example of Odin and DOT development looking forward to it.