Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[Post-Mortem] Night Forest

A topic by H.H.Magoo created Oct 31, 2021 Views: 117 Replies: 1
Viewing posts 1 to 2
(+1)

Devtober was one of the best things I've ever done. My problem going into it is that Night Forest, which I have been planning for years, is such a vast game that I had been too intimidated to get started. Devtober gave me the discipline to do a little bit each day and get over the initial hump. I worked every day of October save two when I was violently ill. I am thrilled with how much I accomplished! I project that if I continue working daily, I will finish the game by Christmas. One key attitude adjustment I had to make this month was to eschew perfectionism in favour of good-enough-for-now work. Night Forest is a phonics game so it needs a couple hundred pictures illustrating different words. I needed to give myself permission to quickly dash off mediocre sketches rather than make each one a masterpiece. I can always swap them out for better art later once the game is complete and working. After the scope creep of the past month, Night Forest is now designed to include twenty-four mini-games  each of which has an animated introduction. As of the present moment, three of the 24 are completely finished, two are almost finished, and most them are at least started. I am particularly proud of the animation of the spider making smoothies, and of all the clay / sock puppet characters I have made for the game. It has been really great to be able to do art, sound recording, or programming each day, choosing which one based on my mood, energy level, and available time. Let Devember begin!

Nice work!