Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Checking in!

A topic by RobinDavid created Mar 15, 2020 Views: 176 Replies: 6
Viewing posts 1 to 4
HostSubmitted

How are everybody's projects coming along? Have you brainstormed ideas? Thrown together a rough prototype? Just vaguely thought things through in the shower?

For myself, I think I've figured out the project I want to work on. In my game, players take on roles as security agencies across different countries, cooperating to stop an evil mastermind and to handle his various plots and schemes. Hopefully I can put the first prototype together this evening.

(+1)

Just saw your post on r/tabletopgamedesign last night while falling asleep. Brainstormed an action selection card game and will try out the jam.

Problem is, I don't know how to playtest a four-player game with only one or  two people. :D 

Love the idea of this contest. Thanks!

HostSubmitted

Yes - that's going to be a difficulty for me too! Maybe you can try using tabletop simulator. If enough of us need playtesters, we could arrange an online playtest session for multiple games.

Submitted

I've got a working skeleton of a TTRPG in mind and I've started writing out the rules. The biggest problem I'm running into now is that I need to flesh it out with things like... uh, worldbuilding. And character progression. And other RPG things.

HostSubmitted

Very cool! I'd be really interested to see what your RPG does mechanically - how you resolve skill checks, etc. Making an RPG is no small feat!

Submitted (2 edits)

Thanks!

I wanted to try making an RPG without dice. Instead (during combat) you program your actions into a timeline using cards and they all play out simultaneously. 

Outside of combat you can use your abilities casually or with maximum effort. Putting your full effort into them gives you a significant bonus, but it costs Stamina. Stamina is also used to make your strongest attacks in combat, and you have a limited amount between rests, so you have to carefully decide what's worth it.

Those are the basics anyway, it's a fair ways off from being playable yet.

Well, I couldn’t sleep again last night, so I figured out nanDECK, a free software tool that helps you rapidly prototype cards for a card game.

I have now scripted a way to design my 20-card game, and will be able to programmatically change the font sizes, positions of the letters on the cards, and whatever.

My new tasklist:

• Figure out which of my rules variants work best (playtesting!)
  • Figure out how to playtest virtually. I don’t want to use jammers for my first few playtests, and I have ppl that “owe me” locally
  • Figure out what colors are good for colorblind players