Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Answering general jam questions!

A topic by juliwaves created Feb 10, 2021 Views: 557 Replies: 16
Viewing posts 1 to 6
Jam Host(+1)

Hi all! My name is Julia/juliwaves, and I'm one of your hosts for the College Game Jam. This thread is for any questions you might have about the jam; post anything here and I'll get back to you ASAP!

(Or, join our Discord for a more direct line of contact to the jam hosts!)

Submitted (1 edit)

Hi Julia! Is an international student on a student visa doing a post-completion opt eligible to participate in the jam? Bit of a mouthful, sorry about that LOL

Jam Host(+1)

Hi Connor! I鈥檓 not completely informed on what a post-completion OPT is (just Googled it, haha) — are you currently enrolled as a student/taking classes at your university? 

Submitted

Ah my bad, I'm asking for a potential teammate!

They're a recent graduate from NYU, but since they're here on a student visa, the opt is employment through NYU so they can stay in the states. Sorry for the confusion!

Here's a link to the opt program at NYU: https://www.nyu.edu/students/student-information-and-resources/student-visa-and-...

Jam Host (1 edit) (+1)

I see, thanks for the clarification -- unfortunately, since they're a graduate, they wouldn't be eligible to win the prizing listed. :( Your friend is welcome to join the Discord community, attend workshops or even submit a game, but the jam does require that all teammates be currently enrolled in a degree program in order to win prizes. Let me know if I can assist further!

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

Imma edit my old response out, since after re-reading your post it makes perfect sense. It's a bummer, but I totally understand. Thanks for helping me out with my questions Julia! I appreciate it :D

Jam Host(+1)

Thanks so much for understanding! 馃挒馃挒

Submitted

Hey hey there! Just started getting into game development as a student, I study at a university in the UK, would I be allowed to join up? No worries if not, the jam sounds fantastic either way, and hope it goes well! :)

Jam Host (1 edit) (+1)

Hi hi! Yes, students at universities outside of North America are 100% welcome to the jam! 

However, part of the first place prize (CORSAIR peripherals) cannot ship outside of North America, so if you were to hypothetically win that prize, it would be swapped. That鈥檚 the only part of the jam could be affected by location, the other prizing (feedback from industry guest judges) would be awarded as normal! Just keep in mind all deadlines are in Pacific Time and you鈥檒l be good. 馃槉

Submitted

Oh brill, thank you so much! I'm very very new to game jamming in general, so I'm just firing away at any I can, thank you so much! :D

Jam Host

We're very excited to have you! Glad I could help, let me know if I can answer anything else! ^_^

Hey there I am a student in a university of Greece. Can I still participate? Because in the registration form it is required that I have a .edu email address and I don't.

Jam Host

Hello! Please email us at collegegamejam@gmail.com and let us know an alternative method of proving that you're a university student! We can provide you with a separate registration form.

Submitted (1 edit)

hello juliwaves, I am a highschool student from bangladesh , i registered for the this jam on itch.io page but when i tried to register the google form , it required a edu mail which unfortunately i dont have any..is there any way i can perticipate in this jam? me and my team members(all are highschool students) are highly interested to perticipate in this jam and attend the events and webinars as this events could help us develop as a team more.

is there any way that we can attend this jam and zoom events ?:"(

Submitted

Hi adib! So admirable you're wanting  to join as a high school student! ^ 銋 Kudos for you for being so proactive!

Unfortunately, the game jam is only open to students currently enrolled in a degree seeking program (undergrad/grad). Another high school student had asked about eligibility for joining on the Discord, and this is what Julia had said in response:

if you鈥檙e not in university you can still attend the workshops! just sign up with your school email ... the workshops are all a lecture format with Q&A time at the end

I believe you can still join the game jam itself, but you wouldn't be eligible for prizing! So there's nothing stopping you from coming into the community, mingling, and submitting something that the community can enjoy playing through. :D

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

well i dont need any prize:3 the game i will make and the workshops i can attend are the prize for me:3 thanks a lot for the reply.

Submitted

Awesome! Love your enthusiasm. ^ 銋

Good luck to you and your teammates! Can't wait to see what you guys produce. :D