Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

What's it like working with strangers online?

A topic by GregoryFenn created Aug 24, 2019 Views: 190 Replies: 5
Viewing posts 1 to 4
(1 edit)

To me it sounds weird: how do you know your teammates are taking it as seriously as you? What if someone throws a tantrum? What if someone does nothing good for the team but demands a share of the prizes if you win? How can you coordinate if you're very experienced and skilled but your teammates are so new or slow that you end up wishing you just did it yourself?

Sorry for the open-ended questions! I'm just baffled how this works... I'm going solo for now I think haha!

Submitted

It's a bit of a gamble whether your teammates will give up, lost interest or just abandon the project sooner or later. I feel like doing it with a small (4-6) team would be best to avoid that, as well as talk with them and ask about their expectations regarding commitment and results.

I made a team myself after being part of 2 other teams where people didn't seem all too motivated, so can definitely understand you wanting to be on your own. If you can do 3D art and/or sound design, I'd like to welcome you to my team! We are 5 folks right now (of all 4 disciplines) and I'm having a good feel about it. I'm definitely looking forward to taking this jam seriously while having fun and learning as much as possible.

Regards!

(2 edits)

To be honest my 3D art skills are limited to the Gamedev.tv Blender course (think chess pieces textured, Pixar-style animated lamps, or quick box-models). I don't have a lot of sound design skills except for equalization and cut/pasting in Audacity, or using a midi keyboard and sound font library to make cheesy effects or small jingles!  Jack of all trades master of none type thing!

Submitted

As long as you are not a complete beginner and are motivated to finish a game, sounds great to me. If you'd be ok doing sounds with us (we have a musician not experienced in sound design) you are more than welcome. If you'd like to try and make some 3D art that would also be great. You can look up my team and join our dashboard @ Crowdforge. We are currently 6 people, I think with you we could finish our line-up and be a well-rounded team :D my profile in Crowdforge is https://crowdforge.io/profile/Aramos, my team is the one in the right (which I created).

Thanks for the offer but I think I'll stay solo. Like most people here I'm mainly interested in the coding and game logic, so I'll use very simple audio SFX and make my own ultra basic models/sprites (not yet decided, on 2D/3D).

Submitted

Alright Gregory, have a good time jamming :D