Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Not reusing code?

A topic by Moncii created Aug 21, 2019 Views: 1,083 Replies: 13
Viewing posts 1 to 9
Submitted

The rules say that people cant reuse code. How will people know if someone reused code?

You will know. The jam is supposed to be a challenge, and if you cheat at that, you're only cheating yourself imo.

In essence, they'll probably never figure it out unless it's blatantly obvious code has been ripped elsewhere. But it's ultimately up to how much respect and discipline you have for taking part in a challenge.

Submitted

First of  all I did not mean myself. I would never do that and your right bout cheating yourself.

I was just curious as to whether or not they had some sort of system.

Ah, don't worry I just wanted to express the importance of it. I wasn't trying to imply anything at all. In some jams, they'll have you post the source somewhere, but it looks like that isn't the case for this one.

Submitted

Thanks man!

Submitted

This just made me think, are you allowed to use tutorials?

They've said that tutorials are allowed so long as you actually follow and learn from the tutorials and try not to copy/paste code

Submitted

Makes sense. Thanks!

I think @Mad_Monkey, want to know if the judges have a way to discover whether someone is "cheating". 

I mean: I'd be sad, because all the effort i will do for someone masking the "re-use" code (or "cheating") to get a better score than others making those who really put their hard work into trash. It's not fair, you know. Specially with good prices.

Judging system must be really rigid and solid to give everyone an equal chance.

Submitted

yeah

Submitted

So can I use some JS canvas functions that I've written before? i.e. I have one for quickly drawing circles so I don't have to use the annoying drawArc function...

Host

@same Nope

Submitted

alright so I'm not using JS then lol

Submitted

LOL