Jobs
Tags

DEVLOG, "PINION" - WFLimited (SBJERK)

A topic by sbjerk created Aug 28, 2021 Views: 244 Replies: 13
Viewing posts 1 to 10
Submitted

Pinion - The Game

A first person puzzler.

Life inside a peaceful city but trapped behind walls.  If only your wits and stealth could set you free.

Submitted

Titlescreen

Jam HostSubmitted

Looks nice!

Jam HostSubmitted

Looking forward to seeing this in action.

Submitted

Light's Up! An overhead shot of The City from above.

Submitted

Oh boy, What fun, exciting stuff everyone ... .... as we approach the finish line I've create a build that won't transition past a loading screen .... so much for the game - I quit (no not really lol)!  Its these later minute and last minute snafus that really eat at you in these jams -  Well  back to the debugging....

Jam HostSubmitted

I had that happen too where my beam of light suddenly stopped working and I spent about 30 minutes debugging to figure out what happened.  Turned out I had moved one line of code that had been after another line to be before it as part of some code cleanup, but the order had actually been needed. 馃槓

Submitted

I'm still trying to get a working build and an upload.....  not sure what more I've got left - ever step seems to lead to 'just one more'.... 

Submitted

Sigh.... so basically I've got a very broken game on my hands ...  Still plugging holes and finding workaround solutions just to have something.... at this point its a bit less than an concept-prototype.... but hey ---- it looks pretty awesome!!!!   I will also say a large part of my issues stem from not fully understanding all the Assets and their functionality and how they don't all play nicely together....  but the same burden of utilizing pre-built assets is also how I've been able to get so much done - so I think its less of a wash and more of a win.... now if only I could have submitted on time!! -- loved every minute of the journey, I'm sure I'll be able to post a late entry sometime later today (hopefully in the next couple hours).

Jam HostSubmitted

You can do it! 馃帀

Submitted

Sadly I never figured out the issue with the build... At this point I'm calling it a lost cause and I submitted it broken with the core gameplay missing. I also included a video of the ingame playthrough on the project page. I sure would love to know what caused this to happen!

Jam HostSubmitted

Is the build issue that Unity won't play in the browser?  If so, disabling build compression might fix it.  But yes,  a video playthrough is good too!  Last year I won with Unveil though I also had a build failure that prevented people from getting to the end of the game due to a string typo. :P

Submitted

Its not designed with a low-spec system in mind let-alone be  browser based.  This is a problem where trying to get into the menus, or activating the puzzle camera/cursor is not properly.  The first instance of something wrong is when switching to the reticule it doesn't hide the default cursor. I assume this all must be associated with in the underlying Tools i am using.  Despite all the code digging I do I can't seem to narrow down the difference between the build and the editor behavior. The interwebs tells me it might have to do with how each handles the code-execution order, but I'm not about to assess what order to setup this beastly notion. Other theories I've had are some particular seemingly useless element being accidently removed as I cleaned up my project, to that I spent some time reworking the menu-system.  No luck with that. I have a nice little 'walking sim'  which does have an end condition, so at least I'm not without an entry completely... which was going to be case when the Loading screen wouldn't go away.... (same issue, but I was able to remove the loading screen and now it just has a short pause/freeze between menu and game).

Submitted

Ooops... one more thing to go wrong, the video I uploaded (why I hadn't previewed this before I don't know.... ) wasn't the game.  It was a 5 minute image of the editor I had up. I removed it for the time being.