Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

First game jame :)

A topic by minklm created Jul 25, 2021 Views: 204 Replies: 5
Viewing posts 1 to 6
(+1)

Hi, I am Luka and I am 12. This is my first game jam and do you have any tips for prepare and for game idea. I am not too good but I think i have pontential. Btw sry for spelling I dont speek England.

I've never done a Brackey's game jam, and I'm planning to use Unity to make a game without quiting.

I'm not very good, and even my pygame skills can't make good physics or UI. 

(+1)

Hello luca, im Mikkel im 13, im also not that good at programming and this is my first game jam too! My tip is to watch a loy a vrackeys content in your spare time just for fun so you know what to deal with!!! I made a company called "box-industry" you can join us if you want, we are a team of young noob programmers! Join at: https://www.box-industry.tk

(+1)

Good luck to you guys!

Submitted(+2)

Hi Luka. My advice to you if it's your first Jam and you're planing to go Solo, is KEEP IT SIMPLE.
Once the Theme be announced, and you have in your mind something to do, keep it as simple as possible. Don't overcomplicate things. Don't try to make a GTA or a Skyrim cause you WILL fail to succeed in the week you have to do the game.

Also once you start, try to finish the core gameplay and mechanics in no more than 2 days. My experience in this jams is ALWAYS upload the game just a few minutes before the deadline, which is extremely stressing.

Wish you good luck and most important: Have fun!

Submitted(+1)

Here are my tips (keep in mind that I have only been in a few game jams so I am not that experienced):

-Make the game as simple as possible. I know people say that a lot, but the truth is that it so hard to follow, you always have grand ideas and you need to learn to start with the crucial features and build up from there. It is very important to scale it correctly. Try to have something finished by day, even if it is just one basic mechanic, you want to have a playable game more than anything. Spend the next days improving the visuals, adding more levels, adding sounds and music, improving the code if you can and maybe (just if the game is in a good shape and you still have a good amount of time left) add new mechanics. You want to finish every day with a working game, especially when you get close to the end.

-Try to work with other people. Don't rely on them, but they can help you with things you struggle or don't know how to do yet.

-If there is a problem you just cannot fix, try to do something and coming back to it later or try to do that part in a different way.

-Accept the fact that the final game will not be as good as what you hope for, remember that in your stage this is mainly a learning experience.

I really hope this helps! good luck!