Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Lets talk about Level design

A topic by TomRivers created Aug 09, 2020 Views: 57
Viewing posts 1 to 1
Submitted (1 edit)

Coming up with Rewind power or mechanic is one thing, but how to make players use through level design is another. 

My friend played our game and complained about many things that didn't have, like wall jumping, or that our dash through enemies hurts player. 

In our game, Soul Printer, player Summons a soul print to save his health and position, and later when he is hurt/ stuck he can rewind back and heal up or get out of deep holes. But you can easily play any platformer without a need of such power, so we made so the dash hurts player, so you need to heal, we filled the level with many deep holes, but you can avoid them, so we introduced a key that you have to find, and OBV it can be found in one of the holes. Also we made a trap, that you can only survive if you have a good positioned Soul Print. On top of all this, when I was testing my game and was trying to get through it as fast as possible I realized that the mechanics can be mastered, so we put in a timer, for competitive players. 

Tell me, how did you designed your levels to make rewind necessary.