Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Minecraft in pure CSS (no WebGL, no Canvas, no Unity, no Game Engine)

A topic by Igor Konyakhin created Jan 24, 2021 Views: 382 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 3
(+3)

Attempting to do something like Minecraft in HTML/Web by rendering graphics with pure CSS (using 3d transforms). No WebGL, no Canvas, no Game Engine of any kind. Today learned how to position objects in space, how to simulate camera (=changing point of view, had to be implemented manually) and made simple first person controller.

I'll be posting about it on my YouTube channel:

The next images contain 1000 cubes and at the moment rendering is very slow, but there is room for optimization: each side of each box is half-transparent and contains text ... or to be precise, kind of contains text - it is supposed to have text, but browser stops rendering all of the text at this point (as seen on the screenshots:)

I might need to divert from the original idea of using Minecraft-like biomes (ground, forest, mountains) and move to something like sky, to minimize the number of cubes necessary.

Submitted(+1)

Wow, that sounds ambitious. Good luck with development.

Thanks! Some luck is certainly needed

(+1)

This is really impressive. I have never dabbled in CSS. I thought it was not full on programming language like HTML. I thought CSS was only for web animations and all that.  Again I am really impressed

CSS is a language of styles for HTML, which (since relatively recently) also has capabilities to do 3d transformations. It is not a programming language so I am also using JavaScript. I meant I am not using traditional means of rendering (such as WebGL) and render everything with CSS-styles instead (but I need JavaScript to generate those styles).