Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Regarding allowed forms of output feedback

A topic by Lasiace created Apr 28, 2016 Views: 288 Replies: 2
Viewing posts 1 to 2

So, I fully understand the concept with 1-bit output. It's supposed to be in one state or another, and I have no trouble getting that.

With that being said, I would like to clarify something. Let's say my game has a sprinting mechanic. If I make the screen move while the player is sprinting, just as feedback to the player that, "Yes, you are actually sprinting right now", but provide no actual feedback regarding the game's current state outside of that, is that allowed? Or is it required for it to be two static images/colors and nothing else even if it's only for that?

HostSubmitted

I'm not sure I know what you mean by make the screen move, but I obviously have a few guesses. ideally you'd want to convey that the player is sprinting purely through the 1-bit output (for example, through flashing or blinking to give the impression of footsteps) but this might not be a good solution for you, depending on what else the game is doing. if you really want to give the player feedback to their input and there's no way to reasonably integrate it, then you certainly can, but it is bending the rules quite a bit (which is perfectly fine).

I see. Yes, unfortunately my 1-bit output is always in use, so I can't go with that approach. And my intended meaning of the screen moving is the same way to screen would move or shake during sprinting, like in any other game. I suppose I'll just shake it during sprinting, then (well, assuming I even get that far in development, haha. Thanks for the reply!