Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

library recommendations for text-based games

A topic by jugule created May 01, 2023 Views: 217 Replies: 5
Viewing posts 1 to 4

are there any libraries that you can recommend to help create text-based games on the terminal? a C/C++ library would be preferable.

Host

Just use print functions Like std::cout or printf

(1 edit)

i know, but i'm talking about a library to help create more complex graphics on the terminal. welp, doesn't really matter anyway i'll just try finding them myself.

Jam Host(+1)

NCurses might be what you're looking for.

(+2)

Ncurses! It lets you draw/print characters at any position in the terminal window. It’s what most C/C++ roguelikes use to render dungeons and stuff.

Submitted

Well i know its not C or C++ but i developed a tool in python. (I wouldnt normally use python i would use c but my schools provided laptops block the executable from c. Idk why but i had to use python so i could develop quickly.) Heres the github for it -https://github.com/Headshot56/Pyscii/tree/main . I use pygame alot so its very similar. its pretty drag and drop replacement but it doesnt support drawing a specific texture of characters. It doesnt seem too hard to add but ill do that during the jam. Finally its more of a rendering engine tbh. Thats how i usually gamedev sooooo

Tldr - Try this