Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Do you give answers in your hints?

A topic by Errol created Dec 12, 2020 Views: 84 Replies: 2
Viewing posts 1 to 2
Submitted

I have been playing adventure games for a long time, and I'm not used to having the answers for puzzles in my game.

For that matter, I'm not even used to having a hint system in the game (nor a tutorial).

However, the people I normal write puzzles for have different expectations. A few of my beta testers were really glad for the tutorial.

And I'm not familiar with today's audience at all. What are the expectations?

Since I'm still worried my puzzles will be too challenging, I have decided to put in a full hint system complete with the answer as well (with a warning they will get the answer if they go any further).

Is that a thing people do now in parser based games? 

Submitted (2 edits)

I do have a fair amount of 'help' in my game. Normally I would probably not have any or very little. Adventures I used to play had none at all. That was the challenge. I get that nowadays people just don't have the patience or the time to spend digging into a game as much. For my particular game, it is meant to be a 'fun' experience so I've added a fair amount, although I also use it to inject a little bit of mild comedic sarcasm as if the game itself has some sort of personality. Kinda 4th wall breaking sort of thing. I try not to have the outright answer in a game, although I admit there is more of a direct hint/answer in this Game Jam game. ;) 

Submitted

Good to know. I've had to alter a lot of my puzzles to because I've made a bunch of mistakes. 

I tried to keep within the gameworld, but there's only so much you can do without breaking the fourth wall. :D (Like the tutorial).