Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Can you use Paid assets (more specifically sound effects) while not adding them in the source code?

A topic by Gats1212 created Jun 15, 2021 Views: 231 Replies: 2
Viewing posts 1 to 2
Submitted(+1)

As the title says, I have some sfx packs I bought and I would like to use them in my game. I know I cannot legally distribute them that's why I'm asking if I'm able to use them in the executable of the proyect while removing them in the source code.

Submitted(+3)

Generally, the source code is only required for verification whether the game was actually made in GM:S 2 and doesn't need to be made public. Quoting this post:
> QUESTION: Can you clarify the situation regarding providing source code please @rmanthorp? You said you were sure it wouldn't be public, but haven't actually confirmed this, nor - if it's NOT public - what we'll have to do to let YYG see it.
> ANSWER: Yes. Not public. Anything you don't want to share don't share and when it comes to judging/confirmation we will reach out privately if we require proof of GMS2.

Since the main purpose of the source is verification that the game was made in GM:S 2 - and considering the fact that it doesn't need to be made public in the first place - I think you should be fine.

To be on the safe side, you might want to replace all the paid sound assets with silence (removing sound assets altogether could break things) and explain the situation to YoYo Games (while keeping the original to yourself). I'm sure they'll understand.

Submitted

Thank you, I was thinking the same about not removing the sounds but using empty sound files.