Log in with your itch.io account to leave a comment.
small stuff cnt'd
the tutorial was a bit inconsistent with how some signposts would have a pop up, and others you had to use
I tried using a ps controller. The binds all worked but the deadzone seemed too small. When my stick returned to centre, It must go slightly in the other direction, meaning when i stopped to shoot, i'd keep accidentally firing in the opposite direction. Had to use keyboard because of this.
I'd change the 3 ability slots for a universal deus ex style 'hotbar' thing, which you can also use to drink potions and swap weapons without needing to go into the inventory. The controller equivalent would be a pop up radial menu.
Seeing other enemies attack and move in all directions makes me want independent moving/aiming with the mouse or other analog stick even more. but im guessing you want to keep it retro. This is why I'm not a fan overall, even though I really like the art style and ambition, the combat and movement just feels dated and unfun to me
other small stuff:
spending time breaking empty boxes is boring, either make them all have something inside and have less boxes, and/or make them break quicker.
it'd be nice to see what you just picked up in a sack as a notification
R should be able to close the inventory no matter what you're doing in it. The ability keys could also be used to quickly assign abilities.
Had larger review but itch.io deleted it.
* Great graphics except player somewhat (needs more detail like every other tile and sprite). Play animation is great though.
* Enemies need to flash when hit, otherwise make it more obvious they're being hit. Maybe also hp bar?
* Ended up being too hard because the block and dodge didn't mitigate full damage and it was hard to read most enemies' attacks.
* Xbox controller controls felt great except jump which was odd (the two triggers next to each other). Could just be me though.
* item pickup needs sfx and maybe a pickup animation to make it more obvious.
Overall, very fun and looks great!