Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Ich Bin Bobble (I Am Bobble) - [Namgo Progress Thread]

A topic by namgo created Aug 04, 2019 Views: 119
Viewing posts 1 to 1
(1 edit)

Hey all! As I mentioned in the introductions, while I have some development experience, this will be my first full game. As such, I'm definitely making progress a lot slower than the rest of y'all; it took me quite a while to even come up with a good idea to make a game out of, but I figure that since we've all got two months until the deadline I shouldn't worry too much.

Over the past few days I've slowly started to learn what it means to write good games. I've watched a lot of interviews and in-depth analysis of games. It's not easy, and I really respect the work everyone puts into these games.

I'm making a remake of Bubble Bobble, with a bit of a twist; I'm remaking the game with themes from the German language picture book Das kleine Ich bin ich, The Little I Am Me. It's a really happy story about a little creature finding that it doesn't need to be like everyone else, it's perfectly okay to be unique.

I'm using the engine that Nealith recommended, it's quite small and effectively provides a wrapper for webgl in a really convenient way. The only thing I'll change about the engine's code is adding ES6 exports, provided that doesn't end up bloating file size, although I have no reason to think it would.

My first task was to ensure that the creature can sit on a wall without falling through, which I accomplished but it took me longer to do than I thought -- programmatically it was straightforward, but something about graphics programming really tripped me up!

The original game had 100 levels, which is going to be tricky to pull off in such limited space, so I'm considering doing procedural generation instead of custom level design which will be small, but challenging to pull off correctly.

I'm writing on Emacs, which is a 46-or-so year old editor, but that's kind of cheating because it's constantly updated and works perfectly on my computer, plus I always use it.